+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, RDS Server - Print Spooler terminates unexpectedly in Technical; Afternoon Could someone help me to start and work out how to fix this one. I've setup a server as ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

RDS Server - Print Spooler terminates unexpectedly

Afternoon

Could someone help me to start and work out how to fix this one.

I've setup a server as a terminal server and using windows thin pc as clients. The RDP file prevents printers from being redirected.

All printers are hosted on a Windows Server 2003 server - X86 and x64 drivers on the server for this printer are the out of the box Windows 7/2008 R2 respectively and printers are allocated out through Group Policy Preferences.

When ever a user logged on, the print spooler would terminate unexpectedly, regardless of whether it's an administrator or normal user. Stopping the print spooler keeps working without a problem.

If I manually add the printer with a port using the share of the 2003 server, and keep using the existing driver, the printer spooler works fine and has done so for several days. While it's fine as it is now since I'm only trialing it in one room, it doesn't bode well for when I want to expand it out further.

Anyone give me any hints on how to find out why the print spooler is crashing?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would also update the drivers on your print server. Drivers are the usual cause for print spoiler problems.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

Cache (17th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The inbox 7/2008 r2 drivers are the latest I can find which I (think) I've set the print server to use (6.1.7600.16385) - it a HP Laserjet 4200.

Put them on using the 7/2008 r2 print management console and connected to the 2003 server, then altered the server to use the new driver. Not sure if there's another step I need go through?

I've also tried to use the individual drivers where possible rather then the Universal driver, so is it worth using/trying the UPD?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yep give the universal driver a shot. I have found these tend to be less fussy.

Thank Post
    You can also try enabling Drier Isolation so if the driver does crash it doesn't take the spooler with it. You can configure the HP drivers on RDS server to be isolated.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ruddj View Post
    You can also try enabling Drier Isolation so if the driver does crash it doesn't take the spooler with it. You can configure the HP drivers on RDS server to be isolated.
    How would I go about doing that? (probably a very daft question)

I could see how to isolate things on the Print Server (but can't because it's 2003) but couldn't find an option anywhere to do it on the RDS server.

Thank Post
    Open the print management console (just search print in start menu) then click Drivers, right click driver you want to isolate, and choose either Isolated or Shared. Both will separate from Spooler, Shared is a common process area for all drivers, while Isolated is on its own.

Shared: Run the driver in a process that is shared with other printer drivers but is separate from the spooler process.
    Isolated: Run the driver in a process that is separate from the spooler process and is not shared with other printer drivers.
    None: Run the driver in the spooler process.

Some sites:
    Printer Driver Isolation in Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 | sepago
    Printer Driver Isolation

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread