+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Ric_ Printer Script in Technical; Hi, I am using this printer script made by @ Ric_ i am using them on thin clinets. It only ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,550 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ric_ Printer Script

Hi,

I am using this printer script made by @Ric_ i am using them on thin clinets.

It only works for people with admin rights. I am on server 2008 R2 Terminal servers.

Does anyone have any thoughts please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 821 Posts
    Blog Entries
    are you a 2k8 or above domain?

Group Policy Preferences might be a better option. URL Removed site is infected
    Last edited by plexer; 31st August 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    are you a 2k8 or above domain?

Group Policy Preferences might be a better option. URL Removed - Site infected
    Yeah... GPP doesn't really work for location-based printing on thin clients Domino.

@FN-GM: Have you configured the 'point and print' settings via GPO and are the printer drivers installed on all your terminal servers?
    Last edited by plexer; 31st August 2011 at 04:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Yeah... GPP doesn't really work for location-based printing on thin clients Domino.

@FN-GM: Have you configured the 'point and print' settings via GPO and are the printer drivers installed on all your terminal servers?
    Point to print? Whats that

I have the drivers on there yes.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The day will come where I don't have to repost this every week: [Solution]: Map printers with logon scripts in Windows 7 & Vista without UAC prompt

It may be a few years off though

Oh and if you have UAC switched off get with the times and turn it back on. It solves a lot more problems than it creates.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

speckytecky (1st September 2011)

Thank Post
    just one thing..

i have had to set mine to disabled rather than enabled. If i enabled the point and print setting the script wouldnt run (not ric_'s script but my own, which is working like a charm now)

Edit: http://www.frostbyte.com.au/Blog/tab...nter-GPPs.aspx also http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l.../cc753269.aspx (near to the bottom)

To permit users to connect only to specific print servers that you trust
    In the Point and Print Restrictions dialog box, click Enabled.

Select the Users can only point and print to these servers check box if it is not already selected.

In the text box, type the fully qualified server names to which you want to allow users to connect. Separate each name with a semi-colon.

In the When installing drivers for a new connection box, choose Do not show warning or elevation prompt.

In the When updating drivers for an existing connection box, choose Show warning only.

Click OK.

Note
    To disable driver installation warning messages and elevation prompts on computers that are running Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2, in the Point and Print Restrictions dialog box, click Disabled, and then click OK. This setting disables the enhanced printer driver installation security of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2.
    Last edited by timbo343; 31st August 2011 at 10:20 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The day will come where I don't have to repost this every week: [Solution]: Map printers with logon scripts in Windows 7 & Vista without UAC prompt

It may be a few years off though

Oh and if you have UAC switched off get with the times and turn it back on. It solves a lot more problems than it creates.
    Penny dropped, already got that one covered. I will have a look at the other stuff tomorrow.

Thanks
    Last edited by FN-GM; 31st August 2011 at 11:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    interesting. If i set the script to run as a login script it doesnt do it. If i run it manually it works. I have put an echo in and its 100% running on login. Any thoughts please?

Thank Post
    What is happening mate? Have you run RSoP to a workstation to see if the script is applying.

I have just had a blonde moment today. There were 2 different printer scripts running side by side so some people got printers where as others didnt. It was only until tonight when i got home the penny dropped.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    What is happening mate? Have you run RSoP to a workstation to see if the script is applying.

I have just had a blonde moment today. There were 2 different printer scripts running side by side so some people got printers where as others didnt. It was only until tonight when i got home the penny dropped.
    I know 100% the script is running as a login script when i put an echo in it displays. But nothing happens. If the users runs the same script manually it runs perfect.

Thanks

Thank Post
    I think were are having the same problem now... I have been offsite today and found out that the script doesnt work... although it did last night

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post

If you use 2008 R2 you can use GPP with Item targeting to IP address range if Thin clients have static IP's or if you have different ip ranges for different locations.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've just set mine up to use GPP and used this pretty much: Tip: Use Group Policy Preferences to deploy printers to terminal server clients

All my thin clients are using Windows Thin PC and set up in the naming format TPC-Room-xx, so for example TPC-IT3-01 and the preference targets a Terminal Session with a client name of TPC-IT3-?? (could have used TPC-IT3-* but there are only ever going to be 2 numbers after the last bit in this room so just went for ?? instead) and it just sits in the same allocate printers policy I use for the rest of the site.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    I think were are having the same problem now... I have been offsite today and found out that the script doesnt work... although it did last night
    Let me know how you get on. If you stick it in startup i think it works.

Thank Post
    I put All of 56 printers in one Gpp, located right at the top with default domain policy. Spent hours getting all the right printers deploying to the right users dependant on location, ad group, computer name etc....

Worked, but it spent about 55sec on all win 7 machines saying "waiting for group policy printer policies"

Have had to ditch it and go back to a mixture of smaller gpps and scripts. . . .
    Server is 2008 but domain level 2003r2 .. Could this maybe be a factor? Also only 2gb RAM on the print server (virtual)
    Last edited by burgemaster; 30th September 2012 at 09:55 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast