+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Application Server/File Services Role vs RemoteApp in Technical; Ok first question if I wanted to host a program on a server I need both Application Server/File Services Roles ...
    Thank Post

Application Server/File Services Role vs RemoteApp

Ok first question if I wanted to host a program on a server I need both Application Server/File Services Roles installed right, or is the Application Server only for special application built specially for it?

Now I have made and transfered all the users and mailboxes already, have a few servers left to do, then will transfer all the computers over

Now my main question

We use to have one server to host applications, for example discs deparements buy, ie oxbox, any education discs etc...... This server any was the main file server that hosts everything.

Now im thinking this needs to be improved, or should it be left alone expect the software just hosted on a different virtual server?

Im thinking all this software should be available in one place, currenly in the school they would have to go into the studentshare or staffshare (shorcut on a desktop)and there will be a shortcut in the for that program. (this is just for the resource discs programs)

At the momment we have two remote servers, both are setup has a farm for load balance, dont think we need it because we dont have many users on it at once. Both also have the remote app role installed. One server as all the other roles install expect the virtual desktop role.

Would it be a good idea to have one just for remote apps, so all this software can go it plus of course all the other network software. And one server just for the actual remote desktop?

Now has I said I would prefere everything together, will make it a bit easier for everyone.

Now if the remote app was to go ahead can I had the remote app adn desktop conection to the mantory profile and when a student of staff login in using the mantory profile they will have the remote apps folder in the start menu with all the programes they will update if I was to add anymore. And when they click on the shorcut in that folder it will bring the remote app stright away without any dialog boxes or security errors?

Also is there away you can sort the remote app programs in the remote app start menu in folders so for example I can have all the science programs in just one folder etc, is this possable the same for remote desktop web access?

If that would work is it worth moving all the network software expect from office 2010 to remote apps?
    Thats mean everything comes from one server, one place, plus makes it easier to update if any updates comes again for these programes, we currentlly dont deploy any programes, I have just install them onto our wds image.

If this was to be done, I would just install Java, Flash, Shockwave, Adobe Reader & Air, Quicktime onto our Windows 7 Image, this would be easier to update because I make a different image for staff laptops and student desktops. This will make them the same.

Whats your thoughts on this?

How do you guys do all this?

Sorry for the long message!

Thank Post
    bumpty

Thank Post
    Does this sound good?

Setup a new man profile and setup the remote app and desktop connection on that, this way when students or staff logs in to a school computer the remote apps shortcuts should download in the startmenu. Keeping Office 2010, Adobe Flash, Shockwave, Air, Reader, Java & Quicktime installed locally.

Three Severs

Remote Master (Virtual Server) - Broker, Gateway, Web Access, Licensing Server, plus any shared databases the network software use (Oxbox, Wordshark, Ultrakey and also the Lexia Server)

Remote01 (Physical Server for the time being) - Remote App and Desktop Host, All Software installed

Remote02 (Physical Server for the time being) - Remote App and Desktop Host, All Software installed

Also setup so Remote01 and Remote02 are setup as a farm to load balance between

Does this sound good? or is it better to share the software inside school via the File Server Role? & keep remote apps for just outside school.

Or is it better just to leave it how it is? (Software installed to clients expect from the resources discs departments buy, like oxbox etc, which they can get from a fileserver via a shortcut, as these programs are on another server we havent setup remote apps for them, but we could copy them over I suppose.)

I dont like the fact the the software is in two different places! We can update it easy if its on a file share and the remote servers.

Please need a fast response, would like to try and sort to out tomorrow at work.
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 22nd August 2011 at 09:02 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread