+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, New Servers in Technical; Originally Posted by darrenmcginnis 1. Yeah 2010 and what is HA? 2. In what way? 1. High Availability - So ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by darrenmcginnis View Post
    1. Yeah 2010 and what is HA?

2. In what way?
    1. High Availability - So this would mean SMTP if your using app relay, OWA, CAS services, HUB's will automatically be FT/LB in the same AD site. MBX, , you can use DAG Groups with native exch 2010 replication. And I dont think your using edge for your gateway?
    2. For 700 users you could have all the roles (HUB, CAS & MBX) on the same server, however you wont be able to provide HA for the MBX and CAS server if you intend to use WNLB as they both cant exist in this configuration. You will then have to split the roles. Also, if you plan to use edge you cant have this co-exist on the same server as CAS/HUB/MBX, it must be in on it's own server (even virtual) on the dmz. You need to know what the requirements are and how critical the email services is, it could be that you only want to have DAG and leave the HUB and CAS servers alone.

Thank Post
    If you SERIOUSLY only want to do physical servers I'd look at something like the HP DL385 G7s - 8 SFF hard drive bays with the option to expand to 16 not to mention more RAM capacity than you could ever need and the ability to use the AMD Opteron 8 and 12 core processors.

Should come out at about £2,500 per server......

However I would suggest you look again at virtualisation.

Here we have 2x HP DL165 G7s (1U version of the above server), same 8/12 core processors - just hook them up to a HP SmartArray and use the new SAS dual port tech to connect the array up to both servers using SAS cables this is wayy cheaper and in many ways faster than iSCSI SANs (not to mention much cheaper).

All of the applications you have up there are very read/write intensive so look for faster disks as well.

Just in case you are not aware the key advantages of Virtualisation are-
    High Availability - one host server goes down the other can take over - thus meaning no network downtime.
    Lower power usage - less servers with more RAM/processor/HDD resources will chew through less power than more servers with lower resources
    Easy future transfers of OSes - moving OSes around is as easy as cut and paste
    Faster response to future needs - if in the future you need a new service which has to run inside its own server OS then you will need to buy a new server...with VMs just start a new virtual machine (at worst maybe get some more RAM)
    and quite a few more things!!

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    If people are going down the visualization route, I always say "do it properly" - I class a visualization system which is FULLY redundant.

visualization is great but I've seen so many companies rush to do visualization but with no failover systems as all your servers are in one box!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IanT View Post
    If people are going down the visualization route, I always say "do it properly" - I class a visualization system which is FULLY redundant.

visualization is great but I've seen so many companies rush to do visualization but with no failover systems as all your servers are in one box!
    For some of us, it was worse before we virtualised on one box!!! Primary schools aren't made of money

Thank Post
    I am not sure, it is only for around 650 mailboxes

Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    High Availablity - you can cluster exchange servers Ensuring High Availability in Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 - TechNet Magazine Article - December 2009

Split the roles as it Hub transport/Edge Server etc

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    its up to you - if you have 2 and cluster them you can have one off and users be still able to access another but its up to you-

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    its up to you - if you have 2 and cluster them you can have one off and users be still able to access another but its up to you-
    All depends on price lol. As all things!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    All depends on price lol. As all things!!
    well your not really doing yourself any favours by discounting virtualisation.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    @jamesfed can you give some more information on the hp smart array setup that you've used please.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    @jamesfed can you give some more information on the hp smart array setup that you've used please.

Ben
    Most of what you probably want to know is here - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c01451157.pdf

Basically think dual port SAS allows multiple redundant routes to data in a Smart Array.

Thank Post
    Hi Daz,

If you want to run this past HP, Dell or whoever else, let me know and I'll arrange a conf call. Get the info straight from the horses mouth!

Cheers

Thank Post
    1. You can coexist the roles with 2010 so I;d put all mbx/cas/hub across 2 servers for 650 users. Configure a CAS array and for CAS server use DAG for the MBX server.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Most of what you probably want to know is here - http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/su.../c01451157.pdf

Basically think dual port SAS allows multiple redundant routes to data in a Smart Array.
    Thanks for that it's a good document but I am also interested in your real world experience and actual products used along with guide prices.

Ta.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Thanks for that it's a good document but I am also interested in your real world experience and actual products used along with guide prices.

Ta.

Ben
    Basicly our setup is 2x HP DL165 G7s with a P812 1GB FBWC and a D2600 with 8x 15k 300GB SAS drives (RAID0+1)
    The setup is so insanely fast (but then again I've never seen a SAN in action so I'm only comparing against what I know).

I think the 2x P812s, D2600 and drives came to a little over £4000.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12