+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Server 2008 backup - no use? in Technical; I thought I'd try using Server 2008's built in backup program to backup a simple server to a NAS box. ...
    Thank Post

Server 2008 backup - no use?

I thought I'd try using Server 2008's built in backup program to backup a simple server to a NAS box. I set up a bare metal backup and its being doing this with no errors for a few weeks.

On this server I swapped the original hard drive for two new drives in a RAID array and thought this would be a good test to restore the backup to the server. Booted up and got a basic 2008 installation and tried to recover from the NAS backup - but every time I try and restore the backup it just tells me there isn't a backup at that location?

I can browse to the folder (\\nas\share), and see the WindowsImageBackup\ServerName folder and theres 50gb of files in there with the most recent backup date - so why can't it recognise its own backup?

I had hoped to avoid buying backup software for this server as its pretty simple and doesn't change much but if the built in backup doesn't recognise its own files then its useless.

Thank Post
    Just out of intrest can the server see its own drives when you are trying to run the recovery?

You could check that by running diskpart from the command prompt.

Thank Post
    I've actually installed a 'basic' 2008 R2 and I'm trying to run the recovery from the Backup gui - so I can see the local drives and can browse the NAS folders!

Also tried booting into system recovery from the DVD -added the RAID drivers so I can see the local disk and entered the remote location of the backup files - no error but the list of images just comes up blank.

Utterly useless bit of software - I'm glad this was a test run and not a live server!
    Last edited by Sheridan; 12th August 2011 at 12:14 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread