+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Windows Server Backup in Technical; Hello all, In Windows Server 2008 R2, NTBackup is no more as it has been replaced with Windows Server Backup. ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts

Windows Server Backup

Hello all,

In Windows Server 2008 R2, NTBackup is no more as it has been replaced with Windows Server Backup.

I can't work out how to script Windows Server Backup or how to create a file list like I used to with 2003 Server.

I would script/schedule the following:

Code:
    %WINDIR%\system32\NTBACKUP.EXE backup "@%windir%\Backup\FileList.bks" /v:yes /r:no /rs:no /m normal /j "Monday Backup" /l:s /f "G:\Backup\Monday Backup.bkf"
    Any ideas how I can create something similar for 2008 R2? Many thanks!

Thank Post
    You can't use a file list anymore, it will only back up volumes or systemstate. You can restore per file/folder though. You need to look in the wbadmin command.

Thank Post
    Thanks, I googled wbadmin and found this. The options seem *very* limited to me.

I don't understand Microsoft sometimes. One minute they want to include everything in newer OSes, and then they release rubbish like this. NTBackup is much more flexible. I think I'll have to look at a third party alternative.

Thank Post
    For those interested, due to the limitations of Microsoft's Windows Server Backup, I decided to use Backup Assist. This works on top and includes an easy to use interface to create custom backup jobs and also includes full reporting tools directly to your e-mail.

Thank Post
    It looks very familiar to Backupassist. I'm very pleased with it and much easier to setup than Microsoft's Windows Server Backup. Backupassist still uses Windows Server Backup, but offers the user a GUI to work with which is much easier.

Thank Post
    I wasn't a fan of Windows 2008 and later Windows 2008 R2 backup. Not initially anyway, and I wouldn't have thought I would hear myself say this but now I really like WSB that comes with Windows 2008 R2.

I know that having to backup a entire volume is a pain. But the following features make up for it.....

• The way it uses incremental backups and intelligently integrates them into a full backup.
    • Backing up to UNC now possible (was an issue in 2008 WSB as I recall).
    • Backup to local USB attached HDD
    • Backup to standard VHD file

These features make it quite powerful.

Leave a USB HDD attached all week - let it do a full backup over the weekend then incrementals each evening.

I have found it to be rock solid, fast and reliable.

If you are concerned about having your backup device media "online" (and therefore suspectable to worms/hackers) then you can swap the drive once a week and use your normal Grandfather/Father/Son rotation for the USB drives.

Backing up to .VHD means you can very easily mount the .VHD as a new drive using Storage Manager in 2008R2 or on your own Windows 7 PC (very good in simple cases of file deletion or in a real disaster recovery scenario - no need to get your backup tape and find a suitable backup drive and software).

If you backup to a shared USB drive (located on another server at another site), then you can use it to do "continuous" offsite backups.

Thanks,

Bruce.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread