+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, New Domain & New Forest in Technical; Hi guys Ok I have managed to setup a spare server I have set this up on 2008 R2 Datacenter ...
    Thank Post

New Domain & New Forest

Hi guys

Ok I have managed to setup a spare server

I have set this up on 2008 R2 Datacenter SP1.
    Then have made a virtual server called DC1

Have installed DHCP and DNS on it, added all our IP Reservations on it.

Changed the DNS IP addresses in both servers to the new servers IP, plus set the IP address for the servers

Now once I actually setup and created the domain, I have noticed something difference

Hopfully you will know extually what it is, we didnt actually have this on our old one

we have _msdcs.theockendonacad.co.uk in dns in its own zone

we also have _msdcs under the actual theockendonacad.co.uk dns zone, this is greyed out

Been reading, this is normally now, since our old domain was created in the NT4 or 2000, I think, its different now

Does this sound right?

Now what the easiest way to transfer the useraccound plus their exchange 2010 mailbox over

Am I correct that if I was to uninstall dns and dhcp on the old domain, the dns and dhcp on the new domain would work on both domains if there is a trust and of course a dns zone for the old domain name?

UPDATE:

Now I have decided to start yet again, I didn't like the netbios name, think it was too long to keep typing in

I did create it with 'ockendonacad'

I did want to use ockendon, but it wouldn't let me use it because its still using it on our old domain

What do you guys think of TOA for the netbios name for the domain (That stands for 'The Ockendon Acad')

Shorter than even the old domain

Also is it a bad thing to use our public website/email doamain for our internal domain? Just think it would be better to keep it the same, our old domain ockendon.thurrock.sch.uk was also our old website domain and email, this wasent setup by me
    Last edited by vikpaw; 3rd November 2012 at 01:16 PM. Reason: google false positives on domain - user request

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    TOA is fine and simple, when ever I create a new network I always pick a nice and simple NETBIOS name, like WWN or CHC etc

Thank Post
    Thanks mate, thats what I want in the end

Ok need a little help here

Has I have dns & dhcp activated on this domain, am I correct that I can uninstall the dns on the two old servers plus the old dhcp?

Or do you need dns & dhcp per a domain?

What steps would you advise next?
    Problem is we have exchange so mailboxs need to be moved over, good thing is we have made the new year 7 accounts yet, so that could be done stright away on this domain I suppose
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 25th July 2011 at 11:54 AM.

Thank Post
    you can use dhcp and dns just on domain and then create zone for other domain and trust - done it for my test domain and worked fine.

Thank Post
    Cheers mate will try this out, so I dont have to create any records for anything in the new zone for the old domain?

Ok need a bit more advice

The Default Security Groups in Builtin & The Default Users folder.

Something I have always been confused about

Why extually are there two folders not all in just the one?

Or are there differences between these two folders?

With our old domain we use to add a lot of security group to our admin account, can we just add the one group for full rights to everything?
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 29th July 2011 at 10:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Thats seem to have done the trick, but had to import/export the zone from the old dns server

what the easiest way of migrating users with the mailbox to the new domain?

will reload the next server and install exchange on that

next will be the file server after that

would like to do network share/user/mailbox at the same time not all at once of course need to make sure it works
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th July 2011 at 01:51 AM.

Thank Post
    What vers exch in source and target forest?

Two forests right?

New exch org, ie you have 2 exch orgs?

Thank Post
    Current Exchange version thats running is 2010 SP1

Will be the same on the new Virtual Server on the new domain.

Yep two forests

Yer new exch org so will have 2 until transfered over

Still waiting for the hyperv host 2 to install, takes ages using the intel kvm and using an iso to install 2008r2

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Ok in need of some more help

Was following this guide Exchange 2010 Cross-Forest Migration Step by Step Guide

Step 1 - I have have done the prepare move request for all users, all the users are in the new domain disabled as there meant to be

Step 2 - Use ADMT to move the user accounts over....#

#Step 2 = The problem - It fails

When I transfer just the one user over its saying in the log that the user already exists so it skips it and does nothing, but this is the way many sites say to do this

Another one here I have been looking at to - Migration | Exchange 2010 & PowerShell

Also when I dont the prepare move request the userprinicialname is the old domain name, how can we change this to the new one? atm if you want under the account propertys you have a drop down box for both domains, I the userprinicialname on one user to the new domain and it got rid of the drop down box and just having the new domain name in the box, which is ofcourse what we want. Or will this all change when the users are migrated?

Thank Post
    Ok sort of sorted the last problem over

I now have now have all the users done for the perpare move request

I believe the admt has worked now, only done it for a few users to start with just incase

Now the next problem, moving the mailboxes!

I cant seem to be able to add the old exchange 2010 server from the old domain onto the emc on the new mail 2010 server on the new domain

It just dont want to login

This is the error message I get

The attempt to connect to http://mail.ockendon.thurrock.sch.uk/PowerShell using "Kerberos" authentication failed: Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message: Access is denied. FOr more information, see the about_Remote_troubleshooting Help topic.

I believe to move the mailboxes over to the new domain you must do this on the emc on the target server. So this need to connect!

Now the weird thing is, I can add the exchange 2010 server on the new domain to the old exchange 2010 server on the old domain to emc without any problems. I have add this connected before, it just wont work anymore for some reason.

Or is there a way to to all the move requests from the old server, I did try that but it wouldnt work, unless I was doing it wrong

Any help would be great!

Thank Post
    Ok everything seems to have gone well now, all users and mailboxes are moved over to the new domain, only computers and group policys left to do.

I have found one problem through!

It seems the last user export which is around 10-15 users failed to copy the passwords over. Now I wouldn't mind this but some of these user are checking their email during the holiday so the passwords need to be migrated (one inc the head)

I didnt noticed this failed, I have already copied their mailboxes over to the new domain, what would happen if I reran the admt migration for these users again, has your meant to do prepeare mailboxes powershell script, admt, then move mailboxes

Any ideas if this is safe to rerun?

Also is there anyway of moving the computers over to the new domain without having to turn all the computers laptops on? Looks like admt requires you to do this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread