+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Two campus sync'd AD servers in Technical; The entire LAN runs on the same subnet, they are in two locations but connected by a 100mbs radio link. ...

Thank Post
    The entire LAN runs on the same subnet, they are in two locations but connected by a 100mbs radio link. Every computer is on the same subnet so there is no way to have them automatically join a site. Unless I am just being very thick about this.

Thank Post
    You can only add DCs to a site the rest as I say is done through the associated subnets therefore it won't work unless you have different subnets.
    For a client, site assignment is determined dynamically by its IP address and subnet mask during logon.
    Source

Thank Post
    Thanks Chris, so I have to use static ip addresses for each workstation? Is there any way I can prioritise one server over the other for dhcp?

Thank Post
    You need a router or layer 3 switch. One DHCP server can handle multiple scopes for all subnets. If you have a DHCP server on one subnet ie one on each site it will only find the server in that site as it uses broadcasts to get an address and that will not go over your router/switch unless you configure IP helpers or a DHCP relay. Either way you do it your going to need a router. You could use one of the Windows server roles as a router if you want but more than likely a hardware or some kind of Linux distro on an old box would be better.
    Last edited by ChrisH; 11th July 2011 at 10:44 PM.

5. 2 Thanks to ChrisH:

Niall (12th July 2011), Timetable (19th July 2011)

Thank Post
    Ok that makes sense, I have a bunch of cisco switches that I'll need to start digging around inside. They were here previously and probably doing dhcp relay already.

Thanks Chris!

Thank Post
    Hi Niall,

I feel your pain as you are doing exactly what we are, i posted a different thread but going to hijack this with you if you dont mind...

ChrisH - we have been tod two subnets and have a cisco router between our two sites to deal with the two subnets.

What i would like to know is how to setup the other subnet... and what to choose....

We have 192.168.8-15 subnet mask 255.255.248.0 on our main site. what would you recommend for the second subnet on the other site? we thought 192.168.16-20 and same subnetmask...

i imagine i am totally wrong like... lol

Thank Post
    Hi Timetable,

I am avoiding all the subnetting and static IP stuff by using vlan's on the cisco routers. This is a very easy way to segregate anything you like. We have cisco catalyst routers, all of which have a nice little software interface and can also be managed by the free to download Cisco Network Assistant.
    In a nutshell, you can assign a vlan number to every single port of a switch (or multiple switches) and only ports that are in the same vlan are visible to each other.
    For example, port 1 to 10 on a 24 port switch could be in vlan 1 and port 11 to 24 in vlan and 2. You could have two dhcp servers running on the same infrastructure and not have them interfere with each other once they are on separate vlans.
    You can also have one port on 2 vlans using tunneling... but that's a work in progress and I'll let you know how I get on

Niall.

9. Thanks to Niall from:

Timetable (21st July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12