+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, MS Lync 2010 in Technical; I understand Lync 2010 can be used without full voice phone integration. I don't have physical server capacity either which ...

Thank Post

MS Lync 2010

I understand Lync 2010 can be used without full voice phone integration. I don't have physical server capacity either which also rules out full phone integration.

I do have some virtual server capacity, so the IM part should be OK. Are physical servers required for Lync video conferencing? or desktop sharing? Outside of IM are the rest of the roles physical server dependent?

Can anyone give any examples of their lync topology?

Thank Post
    I use full enterprise voice but it still isn't massively resource hungry. I have it sat on a dual processor server with 4GB RAM (it should maybe have a little more RAM) but it just ticks along. Oh yeah... Lync Server Standard Edition allows you to run the mediation server role (and IIRC all the roles) on one physical box which saves lots of pennies.

The recommendation is to put anything requiring realtime comms (read voice) related on physical stuff but the requirements have been relaxed and it does all depend on the size of your deployment.

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Theblacksheep (30th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks Ric,

What sort of numbers of users do you have? How many cores on your dual processor box?

Does it integrate with OWA? Have its own web app? or is the client always required?
    Do you provide any remote access to lync? UAG?

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    We run a MS Lync server, integrates with OWA 2010.

Has its own application MS Lync 2010

I beleave ours is run on a Xeon Quad Core with 8Gb RAM, HP ProLiant DL360 G6

6. Thanks to IanT from:

Theblacksheep (1st July 2011)

Thank Post
    It's two first generation Opteron processors (so single core processors).

There's almost 100 enterprise voice clients - not all being used in anger yet. Plus another 80 PC-only clients.

You generally use Lync 2010 as the client but it can integrate with OWA and Lync also integrates with Outlook (and you get click-to-call in IE).

There is also a web client that is used for online meetings with people that might not have a Lync account (guest access). It's really cool and looks just like Lync (although the functionality is slightly limited).

There's a great poster available at Download Details - Microsoft Download Center - Microsoft Lync Server 2010 Protocol Workloads Poster which will show you the basic topology and what ports you need. I need to get some DNS entries sorted but I intend to publish the Lync web app via my Smoothwall UTM.

8. Thanks to Ric_ from:

Theblacksheep (1st July 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread