+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Primary school (from standalone to server) in Technical; The Primary school that i support are looking more interested into implamenting a server. the school has about 30 standalone ...

Thank Post

Primary school (from standalone to server)

The Primary school that i support are looking more interested into implamenting a server. the school has about 30 standalone PC's and about 30 Laptops also about 400 pupils and staff. the school its self has nothing in at the moment apart from a Espresso box everything else goes through county. i was just wondering is what sort of spec server i would be looking for and what roles would be need installing.

What i can gather is that they mainly want it for safe storage and file shares as well as being able to lock down the PC's with GPO with indivdual log on's for each user. so AD Will be a must but what else?

They also have an EES License what would they need to add to cover the new server that would be coming?

Thank you
    Last edited by DJ-Jonesy; 29th June 2011 at 03:22 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Get a new server, doesnt need to be too powerful for their requirements, but one question, how are they doing their MIS?

Xeon Based would be best
    Minimum of 8GB RAM
    2TB HDD (set in RAID 10 config or RAID 5 config, you choose)
    Server 2008 R2
    400 CALS

Active Directory split as follows

SchoolName
    |
    | --- Machines
    .............|- Curriculum Machines
    ............................|- Room1
    ............................|- Room2
    ............................|- Laptops etc
    .............|- Server Room (techies)
    .............|- Staff Laptops
    | --- Curriculum (pupils)
    .............|- intake10
    .............|- intake11
    .............|- intake12
    | --- Staff
    .............| - Academic Coaches
    .............| - Admin
    .............| - Extended Schools
    .............| - ICT Admin
    .............| - SMT
    .............| - Teaching

GPO the Active Directory accordingly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Get a new server, doesnt need to be too powerful for their requirements, but one question, how are they doing their MIS?
    Sorry to be a bit dump what you mean by MIS?

thats the sort of spec that i would be looking at maybe a little bit more storage but thats all ok. what Roles would need to be installed on this only server AD would be a must DNS i would presume is there anything im missing?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    MIS - Management Information System (such as SIMS).

Domain Controller, DNS, DHCP, Print Server, File Server, Mail Server (such as ZIMBRA).

Thank Post
    ahh SIMS they was saying about roling this out too all teachers but at the moment they are more that happy having it installed on 1 machine that a member of the admin team inputs every morning.

So the usual then with the roles then would it be acceptable to run all these on 1 server or would it be better possibly ordering 2 one as AD, DNS, DHCP the other with FILE and PRINT?

Thanks very much this is all useful

Thank Post
    We've got AD, DNS, DHCP, WSUS, RADIUS (for Wi-Fi), WDS and file storage on the following (at one of our new install Primarys)-
    HP ML110 G6
    Intel Xeon X3430 (4x2.40 Ghz)
    4GB DDR3 (option to go to 8Gb)
    2x1TB HDD in RAID 1
    Windows Server 2008 R2
    3 Year Warranty

One of the key things was backup as well - we use Windows Server backup onto a iSCSI box (located off the main building) with 2TB of storage running dailys.

Only cost about £1,000 which was wayyy better than what RM were asking for (£3,000 with only 1 year warranty and thats before CC4 setup costs as well!)

Thank Post
    Just to add - if you've got EES you're already covered for CALs.

Thank Post
    primary school i support has 25ish pc's plus another 10 laptops and is happily ticking over on a single CPU Dell SC poweredge, it is a few years on now, only reasons why we may be considering to change this is because the warranty has expired so this will most likely be moved to offer some redundancy.
    (in 5 years i have been looking after them the Dell Server has had 2 problems 1 PSU & 1HDD )

back to topic :P, most primaries can run on rather modest server equipment as there arent going to be 90 pupils all logging in at the same time, so a low-mid range server will give all the power required and plenty of head room for later on.
    you can run it all off the one server and it would be fine, but you wouldnt have any redundancy if there was a hardware failure (if budget is limited this might be the only option)

id also go for rack mounted kit where possible in a dedicated area as i have found you will get lumped with a "shelf" somewhere and this is ball ache

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Ahh thats good to know make life easier. the school are now saying they would like a VPN access from home to the server for documents ect.. i no the LEA offer this but what would need doing on the school side.

would this also be too much to handle on 1 afternoon a week or would they need to look at someone full time?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Yes HP ML110 G6 are great. I would buy 2 similar spec to @jamesfed then you can spread rolls between them. Rough price for 2 would be £1,500.00 for:

• ML110 Base Intel Xeon Processor X3430 Quad-Core
    • 8GB Ram
    • 2X HP 250GB HDD Mirrored
    • 2X WD RE4 2TB HDD Mirrored
    • 3Y NBD Warranty

If you have ESS then you are covered for CALS you would just need to purchased individual Server OS licences.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_ View Post
    Just check that they have an EES agreement that includes a Microsoft CAL suite. Our agreement only covers Windows and Office, no CALS.

Thank Post
    WoW considering the school is currently running standalone, all the above spec servers I have seen posted above IMO are over spec if all they want is SIMPLE file storage, Schools, Primary
    anyway, are skint. I support 3 primary schools, they all have just 1 server, which runs DHCP, DNS, and AD. and I am looking to install WDS soon to make it easy to setup the workstations faster.

But for all the above, a dual core machine with 2 or 4gb of memory would be more than enough to run the above (basics ) and for a file server. At the end of the day, primary kids dont really save much if any work. so 2 2tb disks would be mass overkill, would it not? yes I hear people saying its some what future proof, but again it comes down to cash.

I have just finished a install this week, and this Primary again is skint, but have gone for a Dual core, 2GB ram, server 2008. and 2 x 250GB disks, and 1 x 1TB disk for school data, and an external USb disk for backup, which is 2TB. this sever manages about 40 Win 7 workstations, and about 300 staff and students. (there work which was migrated form the old server which was a P4 to this new server only came to 20Gb, and thats staff and students)

I Guess every one is different and every schools is Different as well, but the above posts just seam way way OTT for a primary.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Primary School Students may not save much work, but it adds up. Take for instance PhotoStory - it creates files here that are on average 70MB. It will not take long to fill up a 250GB drive.

You need to take staff into account as well. Since I implemented basic Staff Shares on average 60GB of information is created a year, although last year 140GB was created. Add in work in Staff Home Folders on the Server (200GB created here over 4 years) and then you rapidly have to scale up your disk space.

I would say any new server put in today should have at least 500GB of space. Quad core processors are standard in any server now, as would 8GB of RAM. Any school that does not have £1500 to spend on a entry level server needs to look at there priorities.

You also need to think about reliability - Server components are of a far higher quality (and therefore cost more) than desktop components and are far more fault tolerant, along with NBD warranties this creates a reliable infrastructure which in the worst case will be fixed the next day.
    Last edited by Mr.Ben; 29th June 2011 at 11:10 PM.

14. Thanks to Mr.Ben from:

SYSMAN_MK (29th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_ View Post
    Just check that they have an EES agreement that includes a Microsoft CAL suite. Our agreement only covers Windows and Office, no CALS.
    Are you sure? The only options I was given were pro desktop or enterprise desktop, each with the respective CAL's included.

I can't see an option for no CAL's here either: https://partner.microsoft.com/global/40111206#pdp

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IKWeb View Post
    WoW considering the school is currently running standalone, all the above spec servers I have seen posted above IMO are over spec if all they want is SIMPLE file storage
    ha ha, I'm just putting in a HP GL380 G7 with 16GB RAM 12 cores and 4 TB of dirive space into my primary

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast