+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Primary school (from standalone to server) in Technical; Ok, so i got the spec of server sorted was just wanting to know about setting up a VPN what ...

Thank Post
    Ok, so i got the spec of server sorted was just wanting to know about setting up a VPN what needs to be preinstalled on the server to allow the LEA to get it all sorted?

THanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Jonesy View Post
    Ok, so i got the spec of server sorted was just wanting to know about setting up a VPN what needs to be preinstalled on the server to allow the LEA to get it all sorted?

THanks
    Out of intrest what did you go for the server spec in the end?

For your VPN it depends on the type that your LEA uses - you may find yourself needing a Layer 3 network switch but either way your LEA support team is the place to go.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Out of intrest what did you go for the server spec in the end?

For your VPN it depends on the type that your LEA uses - you may find yourself needing a Layer 3 network switch but either way your LEA support team is the place to go.
    I know its a bit over kill for a primary school but i can see the primary asking alot more from the server in the near future and there is already a 1tb NAS box there that is practically full now so i have gone for 2 of these

The clarkdale1u Server @ Novatech

One will have 3 250gb HDD's and this will be used for AD, DNS, DHCP

The other will have 3 1tb HDD this will be used for File storage, Print server + possibly SIMS in the very near future.

Thanks for the info on the VPN will get onto the LEA

Thank you

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If the NAS is full...buy another one, or get a SAN?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    If the NAS is full...buy another one, or get a SAN?
    I did think of that but they have the idea of storage now with individual log ons ect...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    ha ha, I'm just putting in a HP GL380 G7 with 16GB RAM 12 cores and 4 TB of dirive space into my primary
    jeebus they must have money to burn

Thank Post
    ha ha, I'm just putting in a HP GL380 G7 with 16GB RAM 12 cores and 4 TB of dirive space into my primary
    Bit insane
    That is better then my current Virtual Server.

Will add, I would ask my self a few questions before I say "Over Kill" on a server spec.
    1. Will your system ever grow? You mentioned that rolling out SIMs for all teachers. We purchased a good server about 5 years ago and now that server just wouldnt be good for anything other then a GC server (Global Catalogue).
    2. Redundancy? If your server goes bang is it the end of the world for no IT system for a day/week+ depending on your backup (If any).
    3. Money? If you got the finances say 10K I would go ahead and get a good server and the 2nd one a better server. Have 1 dedicated as a GC (DNS, DHCP etc) and have the other one as a Secondary DNS etc but with Home Drives/programs etc etc.
    4. Perfection? In a perfect world if you had all the money you wanted to make a perfect server system I would go for it. We have an external off site Engineering centre which has about 80 PCs and I must say they are starting to push what they have (a single server). So if your rich, have a box dedicated to a single task: 1 Authenticating (Dns, Dhcp etc) 2 Home Drives 3 Software.

Just my penny worth, very over kill on the 4 option but as previously mentioned if your system grows (Like ours have from 250 PCs to 800+ Heavy usage network) you can do things right from the start. I heard a few primary schools that have gone all out on ICT.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ-Jonesy View Post
    What i can gather is that they mainly want it for safe storage and file shares as well as being able to lock down the PC's with GPO with indivdual log on's for each user. so AD Will be a must but what else?
    For a smaller primary there's no need to go completly over the top, but you might as well get something capable now that will leave room for expansion. Dell and HP both do entry level servers - I see Dell have a special offer on at the moment offering a basic T110 Server for £199. That might suite your situation better than rack mounted equipment - I'm guessing you don't have a rack. It'd be worth getting a small UPS to power the machine in case of a power outage.

I'd get one of those servers, order 4 2TB disks and at least 8GB of RAM from third-party suppliers (Dell charge a fair bit for their own disks and RAM), and get a 16GB USB stick and an external USB DVD drive. Install all four harddrives in the machine, removing the internal DVD drive, then use the USB stick to boot a virtual machine system and use your 4 2TB disks as a RAID array to hold your virtual machine images and user files (maybe RAID 10 would be best if you don't buy a dedicated hardware RAID card). Buy a Windows Server Enterprise license, giving you the rights to run 4 virtual instance for Windows Server on the one machine. That should allow you to neatly separate out your server roles into separate virtual machines - domain controller, print server, probably a MIS server and a general Windows application server. You can use a Linux VM for a file server.

Thank Post
    If you are looking at a rack server then do you accualy already have a rack? (and lets be in the clear - a rack for servers is a whole lot bigger (in depth) than a comms rack for network switches and so on).

Even a short one (15U) can easily cost £400-£600 which if you add that to the total cost of your servers you might as well just go and max out some normal tower servers.

Many secondarys these days have rack mounted servers but that is to support a whole lot more users as well as aditional kit (large network switches), CCTV and the likes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    If you are looking at a rack server then do you accualy already have a rack?
    No worries, Ikea sell them for £7:

LackRack: Ikea server racks for living room datacenters

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I've actually got one of those Lack Racks going spare - you can have it for a pound or 2 quid if you want pre drilled holes!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SHimmer45 View Post
    jeebus they must have money to burn
    No not really but the head knows how important ICT is and wants to invest for the future.
    At the moment we have 4 pedestal servers doing various roles which are coming up to 5 years old and really starting to show their age.
    I've brought the GL380 this year and have it running 2 virtual machines. The eventual plan is to get another beefy server next year and do away with the old pedestal servers and just run these with a few virtual machines etc.

Get a semi decent SAN and then if one server dies the other one should be able to take over without breaking a sweat.

Thank Post
    No not really but the head knows how important ICT is and wants to invest for the future.
    At the moment we have 4 pedestal servers doing various roles which are coming up to 5 years old and really starting to show their age.
    I've brought the GL380 this year and have it running 2 virtual machines. The eventual plan is to get another beefy server next year and do away with the old pedestal servers and just run these with a few virtual machines etc.

Get a semi decent SAN and then if one server dies the other one should be able to take over without breaking a sweat.
    Strange that, when they realise they need to spend the dosh things tend to change

It is exactly what happened here, now instead of having endless towers stacked up on top of each other, we now have decent rack servers, a dedicated GC box, A Virtual box doing 4 important jobs instead of having 4 crappy servers requiring reboots. If you have the money I would always recommend spending it and doing the BIG job right so you are sorted for more then the typical 3-5 years. This not only allows your system to grow but allows you breathing room to expand if you choose to go Exchange/Internet/Laptops for all staff and a ton of PCs.

I just remember being told our previous servers were "OverKill" when we first purchased them, now we were pretty much forced to upgrade when we went down the exchange 2010 route. Previous servers were not setup with RAID either so hanging on a knife edge was no longer a good thing. Our new servers are rack mount DELL (not cheap companies that no one heard of) we have had zero issues with them, RAID setup so we can lose a HD in either of them, extra network ports/PSUs. Some one would tell me they are too over kill but I simply can not have an email server which loses a HD and goes down.

Not a rant but just stating facts from our own site experience, one site to another will be totally different but our system must be only pretty much 24/7.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12