+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, How easy is it to manage Microsoft Exchange in Technical; Originally Posted by steves22 I am looking at getting MS Exchange into the school and was wondering what amount of ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steves22 View Post
    I am looking at getting MS Exchange into the school and was wondering what amount of expertise/effort we will need to devote to running it.
    More than I'd expect from something you pay money for. If you're going to pay for something it should just work, if you're going to have to learn how to set things up anyway then you might as well learn how to set up a free email / webmail / etc solution.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    More than I'd expect from something you pay money for. If you're going to pay for something it should just work
    Thats an interesting concept. If that were the case, why employ skilled IT staff?

From my experience, good things cost money. I'm not saying that cheaper alternatives won't do the job, but there is no comparison with Microsoft Exchange.

You will learn a great deal from building and deploying an exchange server at your school. It's also adds value to your personal CV as so many organisations use it.

Obviously this is just my opinion. If you are running on a tight budget (like a lot of schools), it would be foolish not to consider the other options.

Thank Post
    I haven't used exchange for a couple of years so this may not be true any longer. It used to lack a connection to pop3 servers and there was no ability for a global address book, shared folders, calendars, etc. To connect to pop3 and use groupware, third party add-ons were required, and probably still are. This may or may not be an issue to you. It was to us (a showstopper) so Exchange was off the menu.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    I'm afraid that might not be the case. Microsoft are encouraging users to use Sharepoint rather than public folders.

Migrating from Public Folders

Public Folders continue to be whittled away - BeingExchanged
    1. I strongly disagree. All MSFT are saying are not to use public folders and to use Sharepoint as an alternative, or to migrate to your existing PF to Sharepoint.
    2. They are still around in exch 2010 as they have been with previous version and still be in in the next version of exch.
    3. There are too many customers who are using PF for them to be removed from exch.
    4. When exch 2007 was going to be launched, the rumors were PF will be removed, however they were still there, then it was tried again to move PF in exch 2010, hoping customers had moved to SP, but they hadnt. Again, it was still there in 2010.
    5. I actually worked for one of the customer who heavily used PF and was one of the many which influenced this decision along with other similar cstomers.
    6. Over 120,000 seats, in the private/public sector, that al of money for MSFT, multipl that by that by similar sized companies, would impact MSFT if they were to move away.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    1. I strongly disagree. All MSFT are saying are not to use public folders and to use Sharepoint as an alternative, or to migrate to your existing PF to Sharepoint.
    2. They are still around in exch 2010 as they have been with previous version and still be in in the next version of exch.
    3. There are too many customers who are using PF for them to be removed from exch.
    4. When exch 2007 was going to be launched, the rumors were PF will be removed, however they were still there, then it was tried again to move PF in exch 2010, hoping customers had moved to SP, but they hadnt. Again, it was still there in 2010.
    5. I actually worked for one of the customer who heavily used PF and was one of the many which influenced this decision along with other similar cstomers.
    6. Over 120,000 seats, in the private/public sector, that al of money for MSFT, multipl that by that by similar sized companies, would impact MSFT if they were to move away.
    I guess we will just have to wait and see. I use PF here, and love them so I hope you're right.

Microsoft are reducing functionality with each version in order to encourage users to use SP. Public folders were great in 2003, and not so great in 2010. Lets just say, they won't be around forever.

Thank Post
    Anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread. Back on topic.

You can download a 30 day trial of Exchange 2010. Give it a go, I'm sure you'll love it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Exchange is very easy to setup and run except when it goes wrong it can be very fiddly and a pain in the backside to get working again!

Plus can be resource hungry. I have around 900 mailboxes on a VM with 10GB of ram though - the other physical box has slightly less at around 700 mailboxes and 8gb Ram.

Both run happily though.

Thank Post
    I think this one is more relevant to a clean build.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgardner View Post
    Thats an interesting concept. If that were the case, why employ skilled IT staff?
    To understand, install and be able to contribute to free systems.

From my experience, good things cost money.
    Absolutly, but I figure you might as well either hire someone who knows how to set up your own email server or simply pay for a service where it all just happens for you instead of paying for an email server and then paying again for someone to run it.

Thank Post
    Have a look at Live@Edu and see if it meets your needs - it cuts out a large amount of the headache of looking after exchange and is free to schools.

11. Thanks to jamesfed from:

Gardinho (30th June 2011)

Thank Post
    To understand, install and be able to contribute to free systems.
    Your job sounds different to mine. My boss doesn't care for me contributing to free systems. I'm required to install and maintain a robust and reliable network, whilst keeping the school at the forefront in ICT using the latest technology. I understand that we need to find the most cost effective solution for the school, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

Absolutly , but I figure you might as well either hire someone who knows how to set up your own email server or simply pay for a service where it all just happens for you instead of paying for an email server and then paying again for someone to run it.
    I never considered this as I like to have total control of the email system. There is so many benefits to in-house administration, let alone the features for the end user. Things like centralised address lists and groups, sharing calendars and tasks, group enabled access, meeting planner, out of office assistant, integration with active directory and outlook (you can create about 1000 email accounts in less than a minute), the list just goes on and on...

It's an interesting debate, I'm sure there are benefits and arguments for both. All I can say is that we have been running an internal exchange server here for 7 years (100% uptime, might I add). The staff here utilise and enjoy nearly all of the features.

For the benefit of the original poster, could someone with experience of a different email service please list some pros to their product of choice? All I can think of is the cost and the responsibility of managing the school email system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I have Exchange 2010. It took some careful going over of the docs to get installed, but it installed perfectly with no hassles. Since then (18 months ago) I have had very few issues with it and have barely had to touch it apart from some tinkering with the spam filter settings and adding new users. The only issues I did have were with installing one of the hotfix rollups, which didn't install correctly because Microsoft give out incomplete instructions.

Personally, I would still look seriously at a cloud solution. The only reason I haven't switched is because the vast majority of our staff email is sending attachments to one another, and I don't want our Internet connection (which is not a leased line) to be continually tied up with traffic that doesn't actually need to leave the site at all. If you're determined to have Exchange, definitely look at Live@edu. It doesn't entirely remove the need for on-premises servers because you need a server to handle the account and password sync, but it does remove the need for a lot of storage for the mailboxes (and backup for them). If you're not hell-bent on Exchange, there is still much to be said for Google Apps, despite the Live@edu fanbase here.

14. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

Gardinho (29th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Live@edu on cloud computing looks great. I'd definitely consider that. Is that going to be replaced by Office 365?

Thank Post
    Yes, or rather in principle they will be migrated to "Office365 for Education" at some date I haven't heard yet (and wouldn't trust in any case).

Exchange is very easy to setup and run except when it goes wrong it can be very fiddly and a pain in the backside to get working again!
    Depends on your requirements i.e. exactly what you want to set up, but provided that's not too special and you treat your Exchange boxes with respect i.e. not for anything else at all, they tend to just work.

The very real, significant problem with that is that owing to lack of practice and familiarity with the underlying technology/tools a lots of techs haven't got a clue what to do if theirs breaks.... keeps me in work I suppose, but I don't really need it on top of everything else and those lengthy DB scanning/fixing resolutions are a bit of a pain.

--

Back in the day when Exchange was more sensitive and there were very few books/guides, what seemed like half of the MS book I had was about disaster recovery... how you should practice this and that on your lab bench etc. There was a point to that and it hasn't gone away.

If you have got Exchange then: How patched is it? Is it on a decent UPS? Are the UPS settings sensible e.g. allow for how long it takes to shut down gracefully and don't try to start it up again until there enough battery oomph for the normal startup time and another graceful shutdown (plus wriggle room)? When was it last backed up? Have you verified, as in actually tried from start to finish, restoring a DB to recovery storage with your current backup s/w?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PiqueABoo View Post
    but I don't really need it on top of everything else and those lengthy DB scanning/fixing resolutions are a bit of a pain.
    they are what i mean by it being a pain in the backside getting up and running again - but as i said it normally trundles along fine!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast