+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Best 2008R2 Backup software to do full emergency restore in Technical; This kind of follows on from my other post http://www.edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2008-r2/75877-anyone-use-built-2008r2-backup-software.html A t a few of my primary schools they use ...

Thank Post

Best 2008R2 Backup software to do full emergency restore

This kind of follows on from my other post Anyone use the built in 2008R2 backup software

A
    t a few of my primary schools they use Single server systems so they have AD, SQL, Sims, file server, print server and all the rest all on that one server.

If that single server went pop what would be the best backup software to get all the above systems/services/files restored back to a working state.
    I am not so worried about the user files as I can use any old backup software, its more the core server services that I am worried about.

Backup would be to NAS

I have found a few that other on EG are using:

MS Backup
    Arcserver
    Acronis
    Backup exec
    DPM (which looks to be the cheapest)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I would personally run Hyper-V and virtualize the server.

Then just take images of the server once a term (obviously with some kind of data backup as well for the userfiles).

Thank Post
    I would personally run Hyper-V and virtualize the server
    I had a long forum discussion about the pros and cons of virtualizeing a single server setup and was informed against doing it, as it adds extra layers that can go down and you only really benefit by consolidating multiple servers.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    I had a long forum discussion about the pros and cons of virtualizeing a single server setup and was informed against doing it, as it adds extra layers that can go down and you only really benefit by consolidating multiple servers.
    Not really from my experience.

The main advantage of virtualization for us has been the redundancy it gives you and ease of backing up servers.

Thank Post
    I disagree, the advantages of making it virtual outweight the disadvantages. Being able to snapshot whenever you want is a godsend, especially as you'd only have a single server. Before any big upgrade you'd snapshot it and if it failed it's 30 seconds to revert it.

Being able to restore the vmx to any other piece of hardware will greatly help with restore times as well.

There's also nothing stopping you running more VMs on the same server if you wanted, as long as the hardware is up to it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    This kind of follows on from my other post Anyone use the built in 2008R2 backup software

A
    t a few of my primary schools they use Single server systems so they have AD, SQL, Sims, file server, print server and all the rest all on that one server.

If that single server went pop what would be the best backup software to get all the above systems/services/files restored back to a working state.
    I am not so worried about the user files as I can use any old backup software, its more the core server services that I am worried about.

Backup would be to NAS

I have found a few that other on EG are using:

MS Backup
    Arcserver
    Acronis
    Backup exec
    DPM (which looks to be the cheapest)
    There are many options available of course, but I've been impressed with Symantec System Recovery which can be scheduled to take a full backup image which can then be restored to completely different hardware (should the need arise). You could use this alongside another backup product for more granular backups of user data.

Thank Post
    Go virtual!

It's great. It'll make you happier, increase your productivity and make you more attractive and fragrant*

But on a more serious note, you'll get the following benefits:

- it'll be easier to backup and restore (as a virtual server is just a bunch of files on a disk... and is hardware independent - so you could, if your main server went BANG, just install Hyper-V or VMware (whichever hypervisor you decide) on another box and copy the files over and hey-presto! all your servers are back up and running!)
    - you'll benefit from being able to take advantage of your servers resources more.
    - the virtual servers will not affect each other - e.g. if one service causes a BSOD (for example) it will only cause problems for that virtual server...
    - future hardware upgrades will be easier... for exactly the reasons stated in my first point above.

Anyway... enough evangelising for one day.

Ant

* It may not do all of these things.

Thank Post
    There is a lot of scaremongering over the use of Hyper-V to provision a single server, I'd just try it and see how you get on.

I have several Small Businesses that need more than one server and we virtualise them with Hyper-V no problem.

One such repeated installation is for a LOB app we have a Virtual DC and Virtual RDP Server all running on the single 1u Server. It's fast and reliable.

But.... we still like to back everything up and have belt and braces recovery so we use Backup Exec System Recovery to protect the individual servers.

BESR has P2V and V2P capabilities as well as bare metal recovery to different hardware so even if you dont want to virtualise your single server school BESR configured to backup to a NAS or even a USB disk velcro'd onto the side of the server is a really good cover all bases solution.
    DPM is cheap on a schools license, however it requires a dedicated server so you have negated any cost advantages straight away....

I'd stick with BESR or Acronis you can create VHD's at anytime from your backups and build a replica Server on a Virtual Host if/when you ever needed to.
    Be aware though, if using BESR as a disaster recovery tool in a virtual environment it can take hours to restore/create a VHD from a backup so we regularly run a scheduled task to create a VHD from the last full backup just in case.

If youve got an MS License and loads of servers with SCCM then DPM is worth a look.

Thank Post
    OK I have a newly installed 2008r2 server partly installed with some apps and has had dcpromo run but not transfered the rolls yet (is going to replace the very old dc). Do I back out of the dcpromo so its simply a server on the network and then install hyper-v and then install 2008R2 as a virtual machine and make that the DC?

What about the issues of running a Ad as a virtual machine, thought it was a no no.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we use storagecraft shadowprotect. It takes full system snapshots every 15 mins, and lets you boot the snapshots as a VM should the phsical server die.., to be back up and running within minutes.

We are only ever 15 mins out of date should one of our main servers kick the bucket so bad.

Thank Post

Re:Best 2008R2 Backup software to do full emergency restore

For database emergency recovery, I think it is better to choose one reliable solution. There are many backup software on the market, acronis, to do backup, Nova. I have test the trial of todo backup, it offers one-click recovery system disk after disaster solution , you can check one which are versatility and relatively cheaper.

Thank Post
    if you do go virtual why not split things up get enterprise rather than standard and split off roles so even though its one physical box have a dedicated sims server a dedicated file server print server etc then even if one virtual server does go iffy you should still have some network there

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    If you do virtualise it Hyperoo is cheap allthough I think the jury is still out as no-one has first hand experience of it.

We use R1Soft CDP for our backup they have solutions that don't required additional servers as well.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I virtualise single servers using Hyper-V and (in my experience) its been great. I can hive off the VHD at appropriate intervals and in the event of a major disaster run up a new Hyper-V server and attach the disk.

Of course I have an alternative option (just in case) and use either Backup exec or Acronis Backup and Restore.
    My feelings about these are that BE is easy to get installed and potentially a lot more powerful but overly complicated to get it to do anything, Acronis is a major PITA to get installed and working (and updates have been a nightmare as well) but a joy to use when you get there. I generally go with Acronis now due to ease of use.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread