+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Any thought on DirectAccess in 2008R2 in Technical; Just setting up a new 2008R2 server and was just about to install my normal vpn stuff when I noticed ...

Thank Post

Any thought on DirectAccess in 2008R2

Just setting up a new 2008R2 server and was just about to install my normal vpn stuff when I noticed Direct Access.

Just wondered if anyone was using this instead off a normal vpn?

Thank Post
    Two things to note about direct access, you will need all resources to be IPV6 and you can only use it with the top 2 editions of Windows 7 eg Ultimate and Enterprise. Apart from that I like the sound of it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 2,253 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looks really good but is apparently difficult to setup, needs internal resources you want to share to be IP6 addressed inside the network and it also requires two sequential external IP4 addresses which is the big hold up in NZ where is is hard enough getting one and impossible to get two without a whole seporate ADSL line.

Thank Post
    We took a look at it but our LEA dosn't support IPv6 yet - would love to deploy though.
    In the end we just went with a SSTP VPN, still trying to get my head around the right security cert for it (but hopefuly I've figured it out for tomorrow!).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    We took a look at it but our LEA dosn't support IPv6 yet - would love to deploy though.
    In the end we just went with a SSTP VPN, still trying to get my head around the right security cert for it (but hopefuly I've figured it out for tomorrow!).
    You don't need IP6 externally, just inside your own network for things like servers that will be accessed remotely which will all usually be in the same segment so even if they control your internal network addressing you can still use IP6 alongside for this purpose.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You don't need IP6 externally, just inside your own network for things like servers that will be accessed remotely which will all usually be in the same segment so even if they control your internal network addressing you can still use IP6 alongside for this purpose.
    Its the NIC with a direct connection to the internet and no support for NAT that throws us.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Its the NIC with a direct connection to the internet and no support for NAT that throws us.
    Ah, fair enough, I have been thinking of investigating VPN services that could possibly tunnel out via a substandard (New Zealand) internet connection or a massivly restricted one like an LEA one to provide the external IPs. Unfortunatly it would probably break the LEA T&Cs to make stuff work.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Ah, fair enough, I have been thinking of investigating VPN services that could possibly tunnel out via a substandard (New Zealand) internet connection or a massivly restricted one like an LEA one to provide the external IPs. Unfortunatly it would probably break the LEA T&Cs to make stuff work.
    SSTP is your thing works over HTTPS so no special ports need opening - its what we are working on at the moment.

Thank Post
    Currently I use Openvpn Access Server. It comes in a virtual format so you just dump it on the server. It integrates very well with AD and radius. It Works over HTTPS so no port issues. The users visit the vpn website (in school) login using their normal account and then can either download a connection app that will only work for them or continue to log in. It then maps drives and all utils/printers as though in school. Its a very good solid product, its only down full is you only get 2 free licences but its only a couple of quid to add more.

Thank Post

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread