+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Multiple IIS Servers One Public IP Address in Technical; We currentlly have one Virtual IIS Server, this hosts Moodle and The School Site I want to have three IIS ...
    Thank Post

Multiple IIS Servers One Public IP Address

We currentlly have one Virtual IIS Server, this hosts Moodle and The School Site

I want to have three IIS Servers

- One For Moodle (vle.{domain}.com)
    - One For The School Site (www.{domain}.com)
    - One For ePortfolio (Mahara - This is a new site) - (eportfolio.{domain}.com)

This makes it easier for maintance, ie only one site goes down at one, plus it seems our WordPress site is taking over. We have WordPress Muti Site setup witch uses a lot of url rewrites (can show you if you want) Everytime I have tried to setup a sub domain ie vle.theockendonacademy.com it takes you back to the school site. Also when I have tried testing install Mahara on the current site, after I fixed the config error for the config file, it started to go to the school site, and thats on a sub folder as well. So thats another reason I want three server, so they dont interfear with each other, or am I wrong here?

So how would this be setup

With three internal IP Addresses and one public IP Addresses.

I have asked our Internet Providor (Council - Vertex) for two more public IP Addresses, but think they want to charge us, which I cant see the School paying for. Find out Monday about this, think that bad if they will ask as for money for that
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 15th November 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Just use host headers I can help again is needed

Thank Post
    Run the whole lot through a reverse proxy.

I had this exact same problem a few years ago at another school. We had the website on one server, the E-Portal service on another server, Webmail on another. I setup a 4th box as a reverse proxy which served the whole lot out through a single address, and it worked very well. In fact 3 years on the school are still using the very same setup.

You can setup a reverse proxy very easily using Apache webserver on windows or linux.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I'll still need to setup the virtual servers, i'll make 3 new ones and import/export the data bases and copy over the files over, then i'll have a go

Thank Post
    Ok I have three IIS servers setup now

One called vlesrv for the vle which is moodle (vle.theockendonacademy.com is what I want)

One called ePortfoliosrv for the ePortfolio system which is Mahara (eportfolio.theockendonacademy.com is what I want)

One called WebSrv for the School WebSite which is Wordpress (www.theockendonacademy.com is what I want)

Each one of these has their own virutal server which an internal IP address
    I have only one external IP address.

I still have the vle and school webite running on one virutal server using our external IP address. So would like to setup test it on this first (so forget the WebSrv for the time being, once I know this works I'll copy the settings over to that new virutal server)

So what to I need to do know guys?

Thank Post
    Well if you were to use my suggestion of putting a reverse proxy in there, you get all the sub-domains directed to the same IP number and that IP number routed to your 4th server which you install apache webserver on. You then you have to program apache to look at the website address the request is coming from, and send the appropreate content from the appropreate server.

You do this using the apache modules Virtual_host and mod_proxy which can be confugred together to do this - see here for a guide http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/vho...ml#page-header (About 3/4 of the way down you need the bit that says Using Virtual_host and mod_proxy together)

This should point you in the right direction unless anyone has any better ideas?

Mike.
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 15th November 2012 at 01:43 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you have ISA server or TMG these can also redirect traffic by subdomain or folder which is really easy to setup as a reverse proxy also if it is already in place.

If they were all sites under a single IIS server then this server can be setup to split by subdomains also removing the need for reverse proxying totally.

Thank Post
    bumpy

Can this be done without a reverse proxy? or ISA/TMG has we havent got that setup here.

How can you setup head headers as sugguested by irsprint84

Thank Post
    Bit of a late post on this topic but did you ever get this setup and working?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    The way i do it with the linux web servers (which there must be a way of doing it with windows). I float an ip between the two and the master (main webserver) has all the data on it which is synced to the secondary, as soon as the secondary detects the first one is offline it automatically takes the IP and starts serving requests. It then notifys us that the master has been taken off line and will not transfer everything over to the primary until told to do so.

It also detects that the processes are running and if not can then fail over aswell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    The way i do it with the linux web servers (which there must be a way of doing it with windows). I float an ip between the two and the master (main webserver) has all the data on it which is synced to the secondary, as soon as the secondary detects the first one is offline it automatically takes the IP and starts serving requests. It then notifys us that the master has been taken off line and will not transfer everything over to the primary until told to do so.

It also detects that the processes are running and if not can then fail over aswell.
    Web farm on a failover cluster.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread