+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Best way to add 126 printers to server in Technical; Hi all! A bit of background info: We have a print server, running Server 2003 with 126 networked and shared ...

Thank Post

Best way to add 126 printers to server

Hi all!

A bit of background info: We have a print server, running Server 2003 with 126 networked and shared printers installed.

My task that I've been given: Adding the 126 printers onto our new print server (Running Server 2008 R2), settings permissions and sharing. The computer manager has ruled out any sort of direct migration.

Each printer has a set IP address, Location field and they all use a HP Universal PCL6 print driver. They then have permissions set as per requirements.

My question is, what is the best way to get all 126 printers added onto the server? Or is it going to be a case of 'Add printer'... specify IP address, location, security settings all manually?

My guess is it can be done by script somehow? If so, can somebody provide an example where I can then fill it the details and run from the server?

Many Thanks.

Thank Post
    I would say a script reading the information from a file especially in the case of the ports in a loop. Adding the printers will be more complicated, sorry I don't have any examples.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 762 Posts
    @DLW13:

This could be what you are after: Setting Up a Windows Server 2008 Print Server - Techotopia

Let me know how you get on

Thank Post
    The computer manager has ruled out any sort of direct migration.
    ??

Can't you use something like this
    Download details: Print Migrator 3.1

or, install the "Print management" MMC snap in on a computer and use the migration tools built into that.

There's no real disadvantage to a direct migration, so I'm a bit lost as to why you wouldn't be allowed to do it :P

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    ??

Can't you use something like this
    Download details: Print Migrator 3.1

or, install the "Print management" MMC snap in on a computer and use the migration tools built into that.

There's no real disadvantage to a direct migration, so I'm a bit lost as to why you wouldn't be allowed to do it :P
    It probably wont work as the server will want the 64 bit drivers as the standard driver and the current 32 bit as the alternates.

Thank Post
    From what I recall when I did it, as long as you preinstall the 64bit drivers to the server it will work with no problems.

Thank Post
    I would go with ChrisH comment; if your running Server 2008 R2 64Bit, which most places are, I would say you would need to get the 64 Bit drivers. Just take an hour or two out, and just moved them over one by one. If you already know the IPs then should be straight forward.

Thank Post
    no, seriously install the 64bit drivers first and it won't have a problem. It will take ages to readd all printers by hand.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DLW13 View Post
    The computer manager has ruled out any sort of direct migration.
    I would imagine that using Printer Migrator isnt the way to go if no direct migration is allowed.

126 Network Printers all on one server.... isnt that putting all you eggs in one basket?

Thank Post
    I'd grab a large pot of tea/coffee/beverage of choice, some biccies, my iPod and spend a few hours moving them 1 by 1.

Easy job, you could even relax a little while doing it on "auto-pilot"

Thank Post
    It is a 64bit Server! Knew there was something I forgot in the original post!

I haven't had any problems with the drivers as we are using the Universal PCL6 driver, which somehow pushes the correct driver according to architecture to the client. Not sure if this is supposed to happen, but it does...

I just had in my head that a script could be created that went something like: add printer --> local printer --> new port TCP/IP [IP address] --> [Printer/Share name] --> [driver to use]

I could then go into the properties of each printer and specify the relevent security permissions manually..

@mdrabble - yes 126 printers all on one server is very much all eggs in one basket, but the powers that be think that simplicity (i.e. all being on one server) benefits over performance and reliability, but I don't want to go into that...lol

Thank Post
    Does the universal pcl6 driver have an equivalent 64bit version for download from hp or does the standard version already installed contain everything needed to print to 64bit workstations?

Thank Post
    @edutech4schools - Yes, the server only allowed us to install the 64bit version of the driver on the server.

In order to add the 32bit version, I had to use a client PC, add the printer, then install the HP Universal PCL6 32bit version. This only had to be done once though!

When a printer is now added on the server and we use the Universal Print driver, both the 64 & 32bit versions of the driver are made available to the client, but only the relevent one is used, according to the client architecture.

Thank Post
    There isn't a direct migration between 2003 and 2008R2: Migrate Print Servers

I'd do it by using Print Migrator to copy the config to a VM of 2003 server. Do an in place upgrade of VM to 2008 R2. Use Print Management to copy the config to the new 2008 R2 server.

It might take you a little longer that manually adding the printers, but it'll give you some experience of backing up the 2008 R2 config.

Thank Post
    Do an in place upgrade of VM to 2008 R2
    Can you do an upgrade from 32bit to 64bit?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast