+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Application to Show if Server re up or Down in Technical; Hi All, Wonder if you can help, I'm currently looking for an application with a nice GUI to show me ...

Thank Post

Application to Show if Server re up or Down

Hi All,

Wonder if you can help,

I'm currently looking for an application with a nice GUI to show me whether my servers are up or down. The application will need to run on my server and send i would guess regular ping requests to ensure that there is still a response. Would need some GUI indicator with sound. Like Green for a server which responds and no sound and a red icon with a buzzer for a server that hasn't responded after the last three attempts.

Does anyone know of anything or written something that they would like to share.

Thanking in advance,

Steve

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve_T View Post
    The application will need to run on my server and send i would guess regular ping requests to ensure that there is still a response.
    There's actually a whole dedicated protocol for this kind of thing - SNMP. You simply need an SNMP compatible application - lots of people on here use Spiceworks or similar:

Free Network Monitoring Software | Spiceworks Free Network Management Software

Any network printers should also report their status via SNMP, which can then be added to your monitoring list.

3. Thanks to dhicks from:

Steve_T (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,424 Times in 1,774 Posts
    I can tell by checking logmein... And it's free. I heave a sigh of relief every time I see those green icons. The one occasion I had red turned out to be the fault of a gas board digger driver who excavated the phone lines.

5. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

Steve_T (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Many thanks for your quick responses, This will certainly prompt further reading. I hadn't thought about network printers yet so this will be an added bonus. I will check outside Spiceworks on Monday. My final question would be then, is there any down side to monitoring your network appliances in this way?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Dude: MikroTik Routers and Wireless

It's free and it montors and reports on printers, desktop PC's and lots of other network devices besides. Easy to setup and configure as well.

Thank Post
    My final question would be then, is there any down side to monitoring your network appliances in this way?
    Yes. - You will lose the feeling of surprise when users report printers with empty toner cartridges via the old way of "printer broken"

Thank Post
    Is there a web version of this, which could run on a server running IIS, so you can make this amiable to everyone?? I know spiceworks is web based, but I am thinking of just a single webpage with server name, and then either text to say its online, or like a traffic light system, just something simple, and easy for staff to look at and get a heads up within a min of checking the page. maybe even host this page on an external server and get the information published to it??

Thanks

Thank Post
    Nagios?
    Takes a bit of time to get the config files working depending on your setup but it certainly works
    Can also email you when a monitored host or service changes (Critical, Warning, Recovery, etc)
    Comes as part of Ubuntu (10.10 - not checked 11.04 yet) so majority of the work is already done - just need the config files and the nsclient++ for windows

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,715 Times in 1,526 Posts
    If you don't have a helpdesk and want to integrate the two op smartdesk will do it from sept.

Ben

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    I've got a hta somewhere - you can add either the ip address or hostname and within the hta you can adjust how often it pings each device and it will show you if its offline or online depending on the outcome of the said ping result for each device.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IKWeb View Post
    I am thinking of just a single webpage with server name, and then either text to say its online, or like a traffic light system, just something simple, and easy for staff to look at and get a heads up within a min of checking the page.
    Depending on exactly what information you want to show, you could write a simple script to do this - for each server in a given list, ping server, generate HTML page with result. I've done the same in the past using SSH rather than a simple ping so you can run whatever commands on the remote server you like - handy for enumerating virtual machines on physical servers and so forth.

Thank Post
    Again, thanks for all the replies, i will test these next time im on site.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,123 Times in 1,025 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Depending on exactly what information you want to show, you could write a simple script to do this - for each server in a given list, ping server, generate HTML page with result. I've done the same in the past using SSH rather than a simple ping so you can run whatever commands on the remote server you like - handy for enumerating virtual machines on physical servers and so forth.
    Sounds like a nice project for me to do a hta - what are common network connectivity tasks ??

ping, nslookup, trace route any other ones ??

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Search PHP Servermonitor on here - it pings each machine in the list then echo's the result either up or down

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Sounds like a nice project for me to do a hta
    What's an hta?

what are common network connectivity tasks??
    Ping won't always get you a result - Windows XP, with it's default firewall settings, doesn't respond to ping.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast