+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Multi home 2008 R2 for backup in Technical; Hi everyone and good morning I've got a Win 2008R2 server that runs my back ups. That server and the ...

Thank Post

Multi home 2008 R2 for backup

Hi everyone and good morning

I've got a Win 2008R2 server that runs my back ups. That server and the connected storage array are both on my internal network (10.1.x.x) and backing up other machines on the network is fine. However when I try to back up a server on the DMZ (192.x.x.x) the back up itself takes a long time and I get a huge slow down on the network because it is all going through the internal interface on pix firewall. My thought to avoid this problem is to multi home the back up server and have it connected to both the DMZ and the internal network.

My problem is that I'm not sure how to go about this. There are two nic cards on the server so that is not a problem, but the more I read the more confused I got about if I just needed to connect the other nic to the DMZ, do I need to install RRAS, do I need to do both, or is there a different, better way to do this altogether.

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

Dave

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    If you do what you are proposing is that not defeating the purpose of the dmz? i.e you will be linking your internal network to your dmz without going through the firewall?

Ben

Thank Post
    You're right Ben, it is bypassing the firewall but I can alleviate some of that using the firewall on the server itself and only allowing connections from specific machines on specific ports.

On the other hand, if there is a better way to do it, I'd love to hear it. Like I said I'm not an expert

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    What is the dmz server that has soo much data?

Ben

Thank Post
    There are a couple, a web server (it doesn't have much on it), but the database server and the FTP server do. Even scheduling the full back ups during off hours I still need to do incrementals during business hours and they put a big dent in my bandwidth when they run, even though it is just a few minutes.

And yes, I know the DB server should not be in the DMZ, but I inherited this and can't fix it right now.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread