+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, anyone about tonight who could help me with slow logon problem? in Technical; I'm guessing there aren't too many people about on a Saturday night but I have a problem that I need ...

Thank Post

anyone about tonight who could help me with slow logon problem?

I'm guessing there aren't too many people about on a Saturday night but I have a problem that I need to fix by monday morning and I'm hoping someone is as sad as me.

I have just moved my 2008r2 server from my test network where it worked perfectly with my virtual client machines, now that I have it installed something is wrong.

This is the first time I have set up a server for an education environment and I was very conscious of getting the group policies right to lock the machines but it is taking about 45seconds for any account to log on. If I disable my policy it drops to about 7 secs.

I thought it was maybe the folder redirection policy but I disabled it and it made no difference. So the policy causing the problems basically contains every tweak I could think of to stop students from wrecking the machines. Can anyone give me some advice on what they do.

I have to get this sorted tomorrow, client machines are windows 7.

Thanks

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Need more details on your setup

Thank Post
    I know this sounds stupid but I dont have a copy of the policy, I for got to bring it with me.

I had created one policy that tweaked every setting I thought students would play with, taskbar, toolbars etc etc.

I suppose I am asking what everyone else does, is it good enough to apply a software restriction and some general policies to block the obvious like control panel or windows update? the policy I set must have 60 or 70 settings in it, I cant test each one.

had originally thought it was either dns problem or folder redirection but user with no policies logs on in seconds.

Thank Post
    How to receive verbose startup, shutdown, logon, and logoff status messages verbose logging at logon, Find out where the delay is. Also try without antivirus, and look at disabling the user/computer parts of the gp if they're not used.

That said 45 seconds ins't all that bad, and if its because you need lots of gp then maybe thats the best it can be!.

Thank Post
    It seems like an eternity when I was watching it today. The thing is that I had 3 vmware clients connecting and logging to this server for the past couple of weeks and they were only taking maybe 15 seconds to log in.

I'm wondering if the spec of the machines might have something to do with it, they are running celerons with 2gb ram.

The time it takes to test each policy is what is killing me, I have to test with a student, then log off and on with admin, force gpupdate and reboot the machine. The changes don't seem to take until I do this.

Thank Post
    Somebody has/had problems like this, read this, GPO Bloat

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Something i have found that slows down the logon is the internet exploer branding. I no longer use this becuase of the slowness of it applying.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Something i have found that slows down the logon is the internet exploer branding. I no longer use this becuase of the slowness of it applying.
    That was also mentioned in the thread I posted above. Instead of no longer using it though, couldn't you use a .reg file to write the settings instead?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 1,388 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMan100 View Post
    That was also mentioned in the thread I posted above. Instead of no longer using it though, couldn't you use a .reg file to write the settings instead?
    I know i posted it

To be honest im not bothered about branding internet explorer with the school name, so i just leave it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread