+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Using Backup Exec 2010 to backup more than 1 server in Technical; Hi I was wondering if its possible to use Symantec Backup Exec 2010 to backup 3 seperate physical servers, or ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Using Backup Exec 2010 to backup more than 1 server

Hi

I was wondering if its possible to use Symantec Backup Exec 2010 to backup 3 seperate physical servers, or can you only backup the one? All 3 servers are on the same domain etc, but was just wondering if anyone knows if it can be done, and if so, how?

Thanks

Podge

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,489 Times in 1,930 Posts
    Blog Entries
    You need an agent license for each machine you're backing up. So, in your case you'd need 3 agent licenses. If you intend to do anything like SQL, you need an SQL agent license too.

Your best bet is to speak to a Backup Exec reseller.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

Podge (5th May 2011)

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Sounds too costly if i have to get a license for each server, and its like getting blood out of a stone just to get the go ahead to buy a network cable. Ill just backup to external HDD as them servers are not that important, and use the BAckup Exec for the main DC and File Server with Exchange.

Thanks for your help.

Thank Post
    You will need an exchange agent to backup exchange server using backup exec.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Podge View Post
    its like getting blood out of a stone just to get the go ahead to buy a network cable.
    I can sympathise... but backups are a tiny bit more relevant and important to those people with the purse strings, especially if you point out in black and white why you need to backup using "proper" methods and what the impact will be if you don't and it all goes T.U.

Thank Post
    Sounds too costly if i have to get a license for each server
    As mentioned here:

Storage and backup

BackupAssist might be just as suitible for your needs and more affordable if you need to backup Exchange and MS SQL Server. For user files, you can always just have a periodic task copy those to a separate server once a day via rsync, robocopy, or just plain copy, and maybe backup from there to removeable media.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    I can sympathise... but backups are a tiny bit more relevant and important to those people with the purse strings, especially if you point out in black and white why you need to backup using "proper" methods and what the impact will be if you don't and it all goes T.U.
    I totally agree with Pantscat. I have just finished at contract at a school which had NO backups running at all. Once the SMT found out they purchased a server, and new licences for Backup Exec that day.

The school is sbliged, not sure legaily tho to backup all data on the school network, students work, exam work for instance, and not to mention FMS and SIMS (student data) if this was to be lost due to a fire etc, they school would be in deep poo poo.

Licences for backup exec, as mentioned by podge are not ovelly expensive, I used a company called Entec who are a UK reseller of Backup Exec.

Either way, for the cost of the softwear vs the trouble the school would be in if the data was lost is nothing.

@ the back of my server racks farting.....
    Thank Post
    Yeah, you need the agents, im sure there is a license adviser tool when you install BE 2010

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure to back up the 3 servers, you would only need your main licence + 2 agent licences. Also, for SQL backup, if you are able to stop your SQL services before the backup (use the BE pre/post commands option), you do not need to buy the extra SQL agent. I use this successfully to back up our SIMS and FMS databases each night.

Thank Post
    Sounds too costly if i have to get a license for each server, and its like getting blood out of a stone just to get the go ahead to buy a network cable. Ill just backup to external HDD as them servers are not that important, and use the BAckup Exec for the main DC and File Server with Exchange.

Thanks for your help.
    2 remote agent licences should be around £350 they are not expensive until you start adding the Advanced Open File and SQL/Exchange agents. It is much more cost effective to backup multiple servers from 1 than backup each server individually cos you can make a massive saving on the backup hardware. we currently backup 35-40 servers from a single backup exec and it usually works a treat. although the only time a backup isn't running is 10:00 - 17:30 weekdays

Skr

Thank Post
    I don't mean to patronise, but.... (here I go anyway!) it's your job to advise the management team what is required and what is best-practice.
    You shouldn't really be making a decision (unless your job description specfically says so) as to what is important data and what is not.

Remember that it's much easier to point out that this is a requirement and that investment is needed now (preferably in writing!) rather than trying to explain at a later date why you didn't have "proper" backups and you're not able to restore data/services.

HDDs in my opinion are not a suitable backup solution. They can be part of one - but I'd always recommend having a longer term archive using proper media that was made for the job (like say... tapes!).

I don't mean to patronise in any way shape or form - I just would hate for this to bite you on the bum at a later date.

In my experience it's always best to present all your recommendations to management with pros and cons and costings so that they can then turn around and say either "Yes, let's buy it!" or "No, we don't have the dosh and this is not something we want to do. Let's spend the money on some nice plastic bookshelves instead". At least then you've discharged your duties and your conscience will be clear.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    HDDs in my opinion are not a suitable backup solution. They can be part of one - but I'd always recommend having a longer term archive using proper media that was made for the job (like say... tapes!).
    I would say the opposite now. Tapes are NOT a long term archival solution. They have a limited lifespan, and are more prone to damage than a fixed hard drive system. Remember, all technology breaks down, including tapes and hard drives. At least with a hard drive solution you can keep it going via RAID disk replacements should one fail, or by transferring to a new NAS if the old becomes unreliable. If a tape stops working, that's it. You've lost the data on that tape.

We are using an entirely disk based backup system here, and it beats the tape based solution we had previously in every way - ease of restores, longevity of the medium, price, speed, etc...

Thank Post
    @localzuk - Maybe I need to re-assess my stance on this one then!

Just out of interest - what do you do for off-site backups?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @localzuk - Maybe I need to re-assess my stance on this one then!

Just out of interest - what do you do for off-site backups?
    We have multiple buildings on our site, so we have our backup server in a different building to the main network cabinet. The chance of us losing both buildings is tiny.

Thank Post
    Ah - that makes quite a difference to strategy I think having multiple buildings.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast