+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, KMS Help with office 10 and activation in Technical; Sorry if this question has been posted before, but i've searched online and asked around, yet i can't get a ...

Thank Post

KMS Help with office 10 and activation

Sorry if this question has been posted before, but i've searched online and asked around, yet i can't get a definite answer on this.

I have windows 2008 r2 Domain controler running as KMS for office 10 licensing.
    At first it took 5 pc's to require activation in order to activate... So i got 5 pc's as a test and they activated fine. That was 5 months ago.

Past 2 weeks i installed 3 more as I'm still working on the image etc.... however, not it's waiting for 5 more pc's again.

So my question is, does the KMS always need minimum of 5 before it can activate or should it use the old ones and remember that it had 5 etc?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    KMS tracks current activation requests, rather than keeping track of how many it has activated in the past, so you will always need at least 5 machines.

(I believe!)

Thank Post
    Wow, what a design. What if after activating 50 of them... I get a new one, it'll just stay there with the red bar across saying Activation failed and wait until i have 5?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,131 Times in 1,027 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BoostinFD View Post
    Wow, what a design. What if after activating 50 of them... I get a new one, it'll just stay there with the red bar across saying Activation failed and wait until i have 5?
    yes - if the kms server has not been able to contact the machine for 180 days and live activated count drops below 5 it won't activate them!

rather annoying isn't it! especially with laptops that havn't been in school for that amount of time.

EDIT: i think its 180 days not sure.

Thank Post
    I just got a count of 5... they all activated... so are you saying that the count will stay at 5 for as long as they are up and running? Then if they get turned off for 180 days it'll drop down to 0 and start over?

Thank Post
    I just got a count of 5... they all activated... so are you saying that the count will stay at 5 for as long as they are up and running? Then if they get turned off for 180 days it'll drop down to 0 and start over?
    it shouldn't stay at 5 if you have more - are you using any sort of imaging software?
    Last edited by glennda; 22nd April 2011 at 03:37 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,615 Times in 1,926 Posts
    The KMS host is contacted automatically every seven days, but if the computers are switched off for 180 days they will become deactivated (this applies to Office and Windows).

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office201...ctivation.aspx

KMS activation is not perpetual, so computers are activated (i.e. in the licensed state) for 180 days. Within that time, the KMS client will need to contact the KMS host and re-activate. When it does, it gets another 180 days starting from the day of re-activation. KMS clients by default attempt re-activation every seven days without a notification shown to the user, so this reactivation will happen automatically behind the scenes without any distractions. No “activation count” is “used up” when KMS clients activate and re-activate.
    If Office has not been activated 30 days after installation, users will see a red bar...

http://blogs.technet.com/b/office201...nd-tricks.aspx

Last edited by Arthur; 22nd April 2011 at 03:42 PM.

Thank Post
    If you are using Imaging Software to deploy more then 5 you need to re-arm the office 2010 installation as otherwise it will have the same unique key and therefore your kms count will not increase

Deploy volume activation of Office 2010

Thank Post
    I created an image using our SCCM server software. It already did the sysprep /generalize and all that. The keys are different I'm sure. We haven't deployed all pc's yet, since we're still in the testing stages. I wanted to make sure it works before i actually deploy all of them.

The KMS works since as soon as i got a count of 5 it activated... all these pc's that just activated will stay up... so in ideal world the count should not go down, correct?

thanks a lot... this really hepled

Thank Post
    I created an image using our SCCM server software. It already did the sysprep /generalize and all that. The keys are different I'm sure. We haven't deployed all pc's yet, since we're still in the testing stages. I wanted to make sure it works before i actually deploy all of them.
    Sysprep does not re-arm the office installation - i had this problem when i deployed 10 machines and kms would not get above 5 it just stayed at 1 - so just be wary incase of that.

Thank Post
    Well i know the count goes up with every image i deployed... that wasn't an issue... i'm just not sure why the count went down after a while...

Thank Post
    Well i know the count goes up with every image i deployed... that wasn't an issue... i'm just not sure why the count went down after a while...
    that will be they have not be in contact for 180 days

Thank Post
    Your best bet for PCs that don't contact the KMS server reguarly is to instead use your MAK keys - that way they stay activated reguardless if they have contact to your network or not.

Thank Post
    To rearm Office i just run this in my .cmd file that eventually runs sysprep just before i send it up to my fog server.

cd "Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform"
    OSPPREARM.EXE

Thank Post
    I'm getting a message saying KMS needs to be activated when I try to force activation. Is this normal because I only have 4 machines checking in at the moment, or is KMS not configured properly?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast