+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Printing from XP machines in Technical; Hi I have just installed a WS2008 R2 server in school, and i have a Windows XP SP3 machine connected ...
    Unvalidated User
    Thank Post

Printing from XP machines

Hi

I have just installed a WS2008 R2 server in school, and i have a Windows XP SP3 machine connected to the new domain.

I have created the two network printers on the server, and used the latest driver for 2008 r2 from HP, but when i go onto the XP machine, and try to add the new printers, it picks them up from the share but when i try to add them i get the following message:

"The server for the HP Universal Printing PCL 6 printer does not have the correct printer driver installed. If you want to search for the proper driver, click OK. Otherwise, click Cancel and contact your network administrator or original manufacturer for the correct printer driver"

I can print ok from the server, but just cant add them onto the XP machine? I have also tried a PCL 5 driver too but get the same message as above, apart from it says PCL 5.

No doubt i am doing something total stupid, or have not enabled something or other, so if anyone knows any thing for me to try please let me know.

This is the first time i have done a 2008 R2 setup so its all new to me.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Have you also added the 32-bit drivers assuming that XP clients are running 32-bit? As 2008 is 64-bit server, it will also need 'Additional Drivers' as well. You will have to download the 32-bit drivers for the printers and add them to the server.

This will hopefully solve your problem and the clients should install the printers. This is assuming of course the clients are 32-bit?

3. Thanks to mo_vigilante from:

Podge (20th April 2011)

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Knew it would be something simple, ill go give that a try and report back! Thanks

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mo_vigilante View Post
    Have you also added the 32-bit drivers assuming that XP clients are running 32-bit? As 2008 is 64-bit server, it will also need 'Additional Drivers' as well. You will have to download the 32-bit drivers for the printers and add them to the server.

This will hopefully solve your problem and the clients should install the printers. This is assuming of course the clients are 32-bit?

That sorted it right out, knew it would be something daft that i had missed or forget to do!

Thanks again for your help :-)

Thank Post
    You're welcome mate!
    Mo

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread