+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Exchange 2010 address book not work - urgent please in Technical; We have upgraded to 2010 from 2007 last week.... Now administration/office (one database) Students (one database) Staff (one database) Now ...
    Thank Post

Question Exchange 2010 address book not work - urgent please

We have upgraded to 2010 from 2007 last week....

Now administration/office (one database)
    Students (one database)
    Staff (one database)

Now cant get any email addresses from the address book

We ICT Admins can get this

Would there be a reason for this?
    I believe our support company setup this before by editing the exchange schema or something to stop students getting admin and staff email addresses...

Wouldnt mind this going back to the microsoft default if possable, we can just change the alias of staff so they wont know there first name (think that was why they done that, not sure)

They did put this in the oringinal documentation

Student Global Address List
    Because the students GAL (Global Address List) should not list teachers and admin staff I have written a series of programs which set the GAL to a list which only includes students. These programs run every hour during the day, this is designed to catch new users before they logon. Because of the it is best to wait an hour after creating new users before letting them logon. The programs are scheduled tasks on the mail server so they can be ran separately if necessary.

I see tasks in Task Scheduler for this, but script are missing, dont know how long they have been missing

The bad thing is if we cant fix this ourselves, it going to use us maybe a couple of grand to get it sorted, plus me in more trouble for breaking it and the school having to pay money out out for it to be fixed!

Many Many Thanks in advance
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th March 2011 at 10:58 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,232 Times in 1,020 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Did you say your support company setup Exchange for you? Surely then it is their responsability to fix (within any support framework you have in place with them of course)?

Thank Post
    Stop their scheduled tasks from running? Although that said, if there's no actual scripts running, chances are it's not that.

DB - I suspect the 2007 install was the support company and the school have done the 2007 -> 2010 in house.

(On a side note, why are schools so fussy about kids knowing staff first names? It's not as if they're under protection or something!)
    Last edited by Edu-IT; 30th March 2011 at 11:12 AM.

Thank Post
    I take it the GAL isn't being downloaded at all by the clients? Are you pushing it out by web address? If you are, try the following. Fixed the problems we were having with our GAL.

Open up IIS on your Exchange server, drill down to the /OAB directory, right click on it and click Edit Permissions. Click the Security tab and set Authenticated Users to allow Read access.

In the EMC, go to Organisation Configuration, Mailbox, then click the Offline Address Book tab. Right click on the OAB and click Update.

In Outlook, click the down arrow next to Send / Receive, and click Download Address Book

Bit of a long shot, but maybe worth a try.

Thank Post
    sounds like a permission on the address list, have you tried looking at the permissions on the list using ADSI Edit

Thank Post
    What happens to the address books when you run these two commands from the powershell on the Exchange server?

Get-Globaladdresslist | update-Globaladdresslist

Get-Addresslist | Update-Addresslist

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bodminman View Post
    What happens to the address books when you run these two commands from the powershell on the Exchange server?

Get-Globaladdresslist | update-Globaladdresslist

Get-Addresslist | Update-Addresslist

Hi there

First command goes through fine

Second cammand gets five of these errors below

Active Directory operation failed on SERVER-6.ockendon.thurrock.sch.uk. This error is not retriable. Additiona
    tion: Insufficient access rights to perform the operation.
    Active directory response: 00002098: SecErr: DSID-03150BB9, problem 4003 (INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS), data 0
    + CategoryInfo : NotSpecified: (0:Int32) [Update-AddressList], ADOperationException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : A5FA587,Microsoft.Exchange.Management.SystemConfig urationTasks.UpdateAddressList

Thank Post
    ok manged to get the students email accounts working - Just need to find how to make the change in bulk

Had set the 'msExchQueryBaseDN' as 'not set' under Active Directory advanced view under a user in attribute editor

it did have this set

CN=Student Global Address List,CN=All Global Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=The Ockendon School,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=ockendon, DC=thurrock,DC=sch,DC=uk

now for admins and staff, looked at staff but they dont have anything under 'msExchQueryBaseDN', these two could be harder
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th March 2011 at 12:52 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by skell View Post
    I take it the GAL isn't being downloaded at all by the clients? Are you pushing it out by web address? If you are, try the following. Fixed the problems we were having with our GAL.

Open up IIS on your Exchange server, drill down to the /OAB directory, right click on it and click Edit Permissions. Click the Security tab and set Authenticated Users to allow Read access.

In the EMC, go to Organisation Configuration, Mailbox, then click the Offline Address Book tab. Right click on the OAB and click Update.

In Outlook, click the down arrow next to Send / Receive, and click Download Address Book

Bit of a long shot, but maybe worth a try.
    Thanks, gave this ago, but no luck

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Edu-IT View Post
    Stop their scheduled tasks from running? Although that said, if there's no actual scripts running, chances are it's not that.

DB - I suspect the 2007 install was the support company and the school have done the 2007 -> 2010 in house.

(On a side note, why are schools so fussy about kids knowing staff first names? It's not as if they're under protection or something!)
    This is on a different server as the old one was on 2003R2 so 2008R2 for Exchange 2010

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Did you say your support company setup Exchange for you? Surely then it is their responsability to fix (within any support framework you have in place with them of course)?
    True, but I set this new server up and caused the problem, they can support us, but they are saying it gonna need a site vist, witch then costs

Thank Post
    Ok very VERY weird, address book seems to work for everyone know, dont know how, don't care! It works!

Unless our support company remoted in and fixed it

Thank Post
    @priritchardavid - I did post last night but didn't see here today. I know it's sorted but here is some information for your reference.

Orgianal post not posted.

Hi

1. Look at a staff user check their SMTP address
    2. Look at a admin users and check their SMTP address
    3. Look at a student user and check their SMTP address

See if each of the users have a different local name, ie. what is the naming convention before the at (@) sign? firstname.surname? last name only for teachers etc..I assume you have 3 Email Address Policies so that different names are stamped for each type of user.

4. The filters which are set. Do they point to the right Exchange server and database since the move?

5. It appears that you have moved your Exchange users to a new database and these users (admin, teachers, users) were on seperate databases which had a custom address list applied to them, i.e all students on the students databasw would only see students when they composed a new mail and looked at the GAL.

6. What you are tryin to achive is also know as GAL segmenation which is really for tenent companies, Hosted solutions). Exchange 2010 SP2 will include this functionality. Until then, you will have to remove the default GAL, which appears to be the case as you you find anyone is the GAL? Confirm?
    If this is the case, then you have to create the address list for each set of users and set this for each audience.

7. Have a look at the commands below and their usage, they will help you achive what you need.

New-GlobalAddressList
    Get-GlobalAddressList
    Remove-GlocalAddressList
    Set-GlobalAddressList
    New-AddressList
    Remove-AddressList
    Set-AddresssList
    Get-AddressList
    Update-GlobalAddressList
    Update-AddressList

Using these commands you create a filter for each address list using attrivutes which identify studnets, teachers and admin staff. Not sure what how these users are organised or if you are using any attributes to identify these?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    @priritchardavid - I did post last night but didn't see here today. I know it's sorted but here is some information for your reference.

Orgianal post not posted.

Hi

1. Look at a staff user check their SMTP address
    2. Look at a admin users and check their SMTP address
    3. Look at a student user and check their SMTP address

See if each of the users have a different local name, ie. what is the naming convention before the at (@) sign? firstname.surname? last name only for teachers etc..I assume you have 3 Email Address Policies so that different names are stamped for each type of user.

4. The filters which are set. Do they point to the right Exchange server and database since the move?

5. It appears that you have moved your Exchange users to a new database and these users (admin, teachers, users) were on seperate databases which had a custom address list applied to them, i.e all students on the students databasw would only see students when they composed a new mail and looked at the GAL.

6. What you are tryin to achive is also know as GAL segmenation which is really for tenent companies, Hosted solutions). Exchange 2010 SP2 will include this functionality. Until then, you will have to remove the default GAL, which appears to be the case as you you find anyone is the GAL? Confirm?
    If this is the case, then you have to create the address list for each set of users and set this for each audience.

7. Have a look at the commands below and their usage, they will help you achive what you need.

New-GlobalAddressList
    Get-GlobalAddressList
    Remove-GlocalAddressList
    Set-GlobalAddressList
    New-AddressList
    Remove-AddressList
    Set-AddresssList
    Get-AddressList
    Update-GlobalAddressList
    Update-AddressList

Using these commands you create a filter for each address list using attrivutes which identify studnets, teachers and admin staff. Not sure what how these users are organised or if you are using any attributes to identify these?
    I would prefere it more simple, tbh all we need is one global list, we have distribtion lists for everything else. Think i'll just change all the staff display names, that way their fist name is hidden.

Thank Post
    Ok I have spoke too soon

When we send outside message to our school email address, nothing happens, it doent get there.

If you attempt to send to another school email address your will get a 'delivery is delayed to these recipients or groups'

Any ideas?

Could it be our Microsoft Forefront Protection For Exchange 2010 blocking it?

The only other thing I have done since yesturday is totally uninstall the exchange server on the old server expect from the management tools (throught it is the 2007 tools)

Any help would be good?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast