+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Anyone else having issues with Data Protection Manager 2010 on Server 2008 R2 SP1? in Technical; Originally Posted by eejit Anyway, back to the issue at hand - we are having the same problem AngryTechnician. Did ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    Anyway, back to the issue at hand - we are having the same problem AngryTechnician.
    Did you ever find out what actually caused the problem?
    Thanks
    No.

At the moment I have the server on a nightly reboot which keeps me from having to intervene more than every week or so, but I am still none the wiser. I have even rebuilt the DPM server last half term to no avail. My next step (later during the summer) is to rebuild it without SP1 to see if it is SP1 on the DPM server itself that is causing the problem.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    Main main concern about just D2NAS is if a hacker or worm hits your network, having the NAS offsite won't help. All it would take is for a worm to gain admin rights on your network, and it can potentially wipe all the HDDs on your servers, including the iSCSI devices linked to the DPM.
    You are absolutely right - any online backup (onsite or offsite) is potentially susceptible to a sufficiently skilled or complex intrusion. The only system that is not susceptible to a remote attack is one where you have to be physically present to change the storage media.

Really it comes down to whether the risk (and likelihood) balances out the manpower you would spend dealing with offline backups, and the additional cost if you implement both offline and online.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    No.

At the moment I have the server on a nightly reboot which keeps me from having to intervene more than every week or so, but I am still none the wiser. I have even rebuilt the DPM server last half term to no avail. My next step (later during the summer) is to rebuild it without SP1 to see if it is SP1 on the DPM server itself that is causing the problem.
    Wow, that is frightening.
    We'll open up a case with MS if we can't get further and let you know what we find.
    Cheers.

Thank Post
    Just wondering whether you got any further with this eejit? I'm going ahead today with my rebuild onto Server 2008 R2 RTM and am wondering whether I'm still going to be on to a loser.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    We are planning to implement DPM 2010 before September, and included in the project plan is to include longer term storage onto either tape or portable HDD.

Main main concern about just D2NAS is if a hacker or worm hits your network, having the NAS offsite won't help. All it would take is for a worm to gain admin rights on your network, and it can potentially wipe all the HDDs on your servers, including the iSCSI devices linked to the DPM.

There was a documented case where company backed up to an online NAS with no off-line backups, and this happened to them; the result? The company went under. I think it was an online-gaming company.

I was at presentation by a well known and highly regarded (and rightly so) backup company; VEEAM (complete DR for VMWare hosted servers). I asked their reps the same question and it was as if it hadn't even ocurred to them. Their first response was that you can use RAID in the NAS (which wouldn't help) and then said you could always replicate the NAS to another NAS (again, wouldn't help), their third response was they you could replicate it into the cloud (might help if the provider does archive backups). I am sure they do have a solution, but this issue just seems to be off the radar generally.
    Sounds like exactly the situation I was concerned by when looking at going to a disk-only backup solution... seems a lot of people haven't considered that scenario in the rush to get away from tape.

In the end we've gone for the best compromise we can make and doing Veeam to disk with 30-day retention then back up the VBK file weekly to LTO-5 tape (we're using reverse-incremental backup on Veeam so the VBK would be the latest full backup)

That way at least we have something offline we could restore from. Also looked into a removable disk solution (Teralyte) but was far too pricey for what it was and prefer to have a different medium for long-term archive backups.

Cloud would be great but the prices are still far too high and becomes another ongoing cost to commit to (very difficult with current budgets)

Thank Post
    One (hopefully final) update on the original issue: since rebuilding the server a second time, this time back onto Server 2008 R2 RTM instead of SP1, the server has so far been up uninterrupted for 4 days, which is significantly longer than it ever lasted when it was doing exactly the same backup tasks on SP1.

I don't know what it is about my setup that causes it to choke on SP1, and at this point I no longer care. I'm going to hold off trying SP1 again until DPM 2012 arrives.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12