+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Print Management Updated Driver in Technical; Hi, I have a printer that we deployed with the Print management functionality in Server 2008. All was working fine ...
    Thank Post

Print Management Updated Driver

Hi,

I have a printer that we deployed with the Print management functionality in Server 2008.

All was working fine until we updated the driver to the latest version to fix a problem. Now when a non admin user tries to print they get presented with a Install driver box and they can't continue until they have entered admin credentials. Is there a way to sort this?

Cheers

Thank Post
    There are three different ways that the driver can be updated. Firstly, you or another local administrator user can log onto the machine, open up printers or devices and printers and right click on the printer. You should now be given the opportunity to update driver.

Secondly, in theory GPO refresh should send the driver out the next time the workstation restarts and applies e computer settings. We found that this option was not successful for about 40% of our clients.

Thirdly, their is an option in group policy management called Point and Print. When the GPO is applied to a user, it allows that user to install the driver. This option is only available for Vista and above.
    I'm not sure of the exact location of the GPO of the top of my head but search my username and you will see my post about the same thing on here.
    Last edited by deano; 28th February 2011 at 07:53 PM.

Thank Post
    mmm.

Thanks

1. I don't want to do that..

2. I've tried restarting the machines and it still doesn't pick up the new driver

3. I've configured this in the group policy but it still doesn't install printer driver users still get the elevated user box even though i've turned it off in GP

Thank Post
    sounds daft but try turning it on in group policy then setting the options to "just get on with it" rather than prompt

Thank Post
    Yer.. I think I've done that.. See attached.

print.png

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderwood View Post
    Yer.. I think I've done that.. See attached.

print.png
    i tend to untick the top box and leave servers blank then tick box 2 rather than specifying print servers as in 2 years time if i add a new print server i know im going to forget to add it to there and spend ages faffing round

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    i tend to untick the top box and leave servers blank then tick box 2 rather than specifying print servers as in 2 years time if i add a new print server i know im going to forget to add it to there and spend ages faffing round
    Good Point.. i too will forget..

I don't need to do anything else do i?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunderwood View Post
    Good Point.. i too will forget..

I don't need to do anything else do i?
    shouldnt do but printers seem to be inconsistent ive got 1 school where the xp workstations will print quite happily to the 2008r2 server but the win7 ones dont add the printer(s) and ive had to create a virtual server 2003 for the win7 pcs.

The sooner we can live without printers the happier i will be shame you cant unc to kindles wirelesly you could then use a pdf printer and turn it into a wireless printer lol

Thank Post
    Would have to agree with sted about inconsistent printers. I have no idea why with Windows 7 you can get so many problems yet Windows XP just works

Thank Post
    I should really move this as it has nothing to do with R2 its just Server 2008.

But our problem we have now is we installed the new driver for the printer and every student was asked to enter a username and password to install the driver. So i tried the point and print group policy and that wasn't removing the username box. So i then thought if i remove the printer using the print management feature i could then reinstall it after.. But now it doesn't even give the students the option. Staff its fine students its not.

If i try and look in the directory for the printer and add it that way it gets all the way to "finishing installation" and then throws an error.

Does anyone know of a way in which i can get round this? 1 thing that i can't do is rename the printer.

Heeelp!!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread