+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Can't apply a MSI to a GPO on 1 W2k8R2 Server in Technical; Hi all, Firstly as far as I can tell this is only happening on one of my W2K8R2 DC Servers ...
    Thank Post

Can't apply a MSI to a GPO on 1 W2k8R2 Server

Hi all,

Firstly as far as I can tell this is only happening on one of my W2K8R2 DC Servers but it's annoying as hell! It's the DC at my remote site and I can't add MSI's to Group Polices on it. Basically the problem is described in this KB article You cannot create a software installation Group Policy setting on a read-only domain controller in Windows Server 2008 R2. I also get these two eventvwr entries when trying to add MSI's to GPs.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Software Installation
    Date: 02/02/2011 16:16:10
    Event ID: 103
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: ASH100.ashford.CSCo.Org.UK
    Description:
    Software Installation failed to deploy package 2Know!_Toolbar_2.0_Win.msi. The following error was encountered: No package in the software installation data in the Active Directory meets this criteria.

Log Name: Application
    Source: Software Installation
    Date: 02/02/2011 16:16:10
    Event ID: 105
    Task Category: None
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: ASH100.ashford.CSCo.Org.UK
    Description:
    Software Installation was unable to add the package 2Know! Toolbar to the DS. The following error was encountered: No package in the software installation data in the Active Directory meets this criteria.

This happens with all Software I try to add via GP with an MSI on the server. So there is me thinking the DC is read only, I didn't want to apply the hotfix but thought I would read into this read only stuff! I found out how to see whether it is read only see attached and clearly it isn't. The attached picture shows which DC I connect to from my machine to manage GPs and it shows all are of them are read/write. And strangely enough I can connect to ASH100 (Which is the problem server) and it works from my machine but not direct on the server. Anyone have a similar problem?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Hi - I think I've seen this one. It looks like your active directory is set to another instance on your DC.
    Go to Active Directory, choose the active directory top level and right click, this will give you a choice -go to change domain controller and change to any writable domain controller.
    That should do the trick

Thank Post
    Hi Hedghog,

Sorry but what you have just said is what is in my thumbnail I attached. I have done that and it's what I used to work out that even though the error msg is telling me the DC is read only the screen you are talking about telling me the DC is read/write if that makes sense! It's a really strange one and I can modify/create GP's on the select server remotely just not on the server it's self!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread