+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Remote Desktop Setup Problems (Why cant Microsoft make it easy to setup!) in Technical; I have attempted to setup 2x Remote Desktop Host Servers I have made a Virtual Hyper V image, with all ...
    Thank Post

Unhappy Remote Desktop Setup Problems (Why cant Microsoft make it easy to setup!)

I have attempted to setup 2x Remote Desktop Host Servers

I have made a Virtual Hyper V image, with all the roles expect the host and virutal desktop role. I called this rds-services

Also installed and configured 2x physical servers for the hosts. I called these, rds-01 and rds-02

I have configured the server to work in a farm, I think I have done this correclly

One thing im sure im not setup correct is the dns records.

The problems im getting are

If I restart all services and remote into for example rds-01 and then try to remote into rds-02 I get this error

'The connection cannot be completed because the remote computer that was reached is not the one you specified. This could be caused by an outdated entry in the DNS cache. Try using the IP address of the computer instead'

It the same problem if it tried connection to rds-02 first. I wouldnt be able to remote to rds-01

If I use the IP address for the server I cannot connect to at the time the server seems to still connect to the working one even its the wrong IP Address for that server

The next problem I have is that on the web interface, the remote apps try to connect to a computer called remote. This is the name I called the farm. And of course this will not find it.

Thank Post
    Have you created a DNS Alias for your farm? You also need to setup Network Load Balancing on your farm so that only IP address is required.

Thank Post
    create a cname record in dns for each ip address in the farm, so farm - 10.0.0.1 , farm- 10.0.0.2 for example. if both servers are identical you can import the webapp setup from one server to the other, that'll solve the remoteapp program. its because the software either isn't installed or ins't on the allow list.

Thank Post
    The reason you can't connect to one then the other is due to the session host service, which attempts to connect you the same server in a farm if you lose connection. This is normal.

Strawberry's method is only really valid if you use round Robin for the farm. NLB is a better alternative.
    Last edited by riffleman; 16th January 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Thank Post
    if your using a 2008 session broker then dns RR will suffice. the load balancing will be performed by the broker.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...18(WS.10).aspx

Thank Post
    you should be able to rdp to the 2nd box by logging directly onto the console......mstsc /v:SERVERNAME /console if memory serves me correct.

Thank Post
    seems I put the dns recors in the wrong folder

Ok next step!

How do I get this onto a website address?

would like it to be remote.theockendonacademy.com

We cant get it to work externally as we need the dns record to be setup, but would like to find out how to make this into a subsomain on our website first!

I did manage to get to eithier server in the end by using mstsc /admin command, gusse that overrides all the farm settings

Thank Post
    You will need to publish the farm on your firewall and if necessary ensure your ISP knows to forward these DNS requests to your firewall. Can you post what you use for your firewall, then someone may be able to assist in setting it up for you.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    if your using a 2008 session broker then dns RR will suffice. the load balancing will be performed by the broker.

TS Session Broker Load Balancing Step-by-Step Guide
    Agreed, however, RR doesnt take into account the possibility of one of your servers being offline, resulting in every other request not been fulfiled. As NLB is very straightforward to implement in W2K8, I'd use this over RR as it will allow servers to go offline without affecting the service.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread