+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, VSS backup options and multiple backups - copy or full backup? in Technical; We have just added a limited off-site backup solution to our existing Windows backup strategy. The server being backed up ...

Thank Post

VSS backup options and multiple backups - copy or full backup?

We have just added a limited off-site backup solution to our existing Windows backup strategy. The server being backed up is running Outlook and MIS/SQL so we are making use of VSS for this.

Our off-site runs a partial backup around midday and a fuller backup early evening. The off-site backups also cover remote file shares. Software is Attix 5 SE.

Our windows server backups runs after the offsite backups should be completed. The Windows server backups only backup file hosted on each server, so the server hosting off-site via Attix 5 is only backing up Exchange and our MIS/SQL system.

What backup settings do I use for VSS? Do I use full or copy? Currently using copy but I am not sure if I should be using full backup for one of these backups to clear the transaction logs and set the backup history attributes. What happens to the transaction logs and backup history attributes if I continue to use VSS copy - will they ever get cleared/updated?

From the Attix5 manual: (similar descritpion shown with Windows Backup)
    Full Backup
    Following a Full Backup, the backup history of each file will be updated and, in the case of Exchange writers, the backup transaction logs will be truncated.
    Warning: If employing other backup/archiving processes in addition to Attix5 Pro that require full backup transaction logs (e.g. Exchange tape backup), it is recommended that you use Copy Backup instead, as Copy Backups retain full transaction logs.

Copy Backup
    Copy Backups leave the backup history of each file and the application logs as they were before the backup. This is recommended if using additional backup/archiving processes that require full backup transaction logs.
    Warning: If both the SQL database and Exchange server are on the same machine, the Full/Copy setting will apply to both.

Thank Post
    BUMP. Still wondering what the correct setting is.

Thank Post
    Hi Ian,

Full backup will mark the file as backed up, and also (if the application's VSS writer supports it..read:exchange) will roll/truncate the log files up into the main file.

Do a copy backup if you don't want to impact your data/backup set. Do a full backup if you are doing your scheduled backups.

4. Thanks to chrisbrown from:

ianh64 (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,301 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yeap, full bacup to remove trasaction logs and such from exchange as otherwise it will happily fill your storage with logs in a matter of weeks like the greedy little brat that it is.

6. Thanks to SYNACK from:

ianh64 (21st January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanks

I thought that was the answer but had not seen anything that specifically said to mix both VSS types.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread