+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2K8R2 for Primary Schools in Technical; Hi all, Could someone give me a quick idea as to how much a 2k8R2 Standard and Enterprise edition would ...
    Thank Post

2K8R2 for Primary Schools

Hi all,

Could someone give me a quick idea as to how much a 2k8R2 Standard and Enterprise edition would cost for a primary school?

I'd be interested in a one off payment but if there are any Microsoft programs that makes it insanely cheap that'd be great.

Thanks!
    James

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    i think for standard on our schools agreement we pay about £20 for standard an £60 for enterprise but that is for 20 copies plus exchange/sql (at extra cost) then its about a couple of quid a year for the cals

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    i think for standard on our schools agreement we pay about £20 for standard an £60 for enterprise but that is for 20 copies plus exchange/sql (at extra cost) then its about a couple of quid a year for the cals
    Is that for a Primary School (if there is any differance)?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfed View Post
    Is that for a Primary School (if there is any differance)?
    not a clue all i know is its a schools agreement but it may well be different for you - although all the MS licensing model is changing just after Bett - so if you not going to that you might want to wait until afterwards before looking into any costing as it is going to change i think.

Thank Post
    might be worth waiting. Microsoft are going to announce a slightly different licensing model at BETT next week.

ah toby just wrote that!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide54 View Post
    might be worth waiting. Microsoft are going to announce a slightly different licensing model at BETT next week.

ah toby just wrote that!
    too slow!

Thank Post
    There is a link here to more information from the MS Licensing Blog

Thank Post
    Off the top of my head for (one-off non-subscription model, under select or whatever the right kind of licensing is) I think it was very roughly something like £80 and £200 respectively plus CALs at around £3-4 each.

But as above, MS are promising "Secondly, if you normally buy your software on a perpetual license (eg Select), then switching to this will reduce your annual bill substantially". Guess we'll see if that is actually true for small Primary numbers where IME the initial OS costs may well have been amortised over 6-7 years e.g. they got the 2003+XP they're still using that long ago.

[Is there a lot of 2008R2 + Win7 in primary yet? How's the typical application s/w holding up i.e. are they having to buy upgrades or alternative for much of it?]

Thank Post
    It's unlikely that the new system will make any difference to your server licensing.
    As far as I can tell the changes will make the biggest difference to schools with large desktop counts.
    Server pools have always been treated differently.
    If you take a schools desktop agreement your core cal is included so you can add a server subscription For around £25 pa unless you want to use Hyper-V or Clustering in a primary school I can't see any great advantage in paying for Enterprise.

The new system is really going to help those with a current desktop count >250 as they will switch to paying for the number of full time staff rather than desktops, primary schools may not benefit as much initially.

A recent private school I did 120 desktops 10 servers (1 Enterprise 6 Std 1 Exchange and 2 SQL CPUs) was £3.4k pa. Not what I would call insanely cheap but a huge improvement on the OEM an unlicensed mess they had before!

Thank Post
    Our primary school is licensed under a council wide pooled Select (or select Plus) agreement. Approach your local authority to see if there is one available for you (even if you are an independent school) and you will get discounted volume pricing at a higher level than you will get as an individual.

Off the top of my head, our perpetual Server Standard license was about £65 and Enterprise license about £150 or there abouts. You may want to consider an enterprise license if you are making use of virtualisation as it covers virtual host plus up to 4 virtual environments on the same physical server, irrespective of the number of processors that you may have. Datacenter covers unlimited virtualisation on the same physical server but is licensed per physical processor.

CAL's are about £1.60 each and are again, perpetual for the server version.

If you need to license any Microsoft products on a Select agreement subscription basis, ie some Forefront products, then you need to join the existing subscription scheme signed by the council which is likely to be part way through the subscription. Ours was pretty close to the start of the subscription so it didn't make much difference to us, but I think you have to pay the whole years subscription even though you may only be getting a few months worth of use from the subscription. The subscription is then renewed by the council and you simply pay the years subscription as an annual payment which you have to do until agreement expiry under Select agreement as the subscription runs for 'x' years. Under Select, the cost of the server and most other products is a one off payment payment for that version.

I think the only changes forthcoming to Select/Select Plus is that Select is being phased out and being replaced by Select plus.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread