+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Lock desktop icons via GPO in Technical; Hi I have a new Server 2008 r2 with Windows 7 N and I was hoping somebody would know how ...

Thank Post

Lock desktop icons via GPO

Hi
    I have a new Server 2008 r2 with Windows 7 N and I was hoping somebody would know how I can lock the desktop Icon in place?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Just redirect the desktop to a UNC path and give everyone read rights only.
    One side question why did you go for the N version of w7?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What type of profiles do you use?

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replys.
    Your at the edge of my knowledge here.
    ZH, I have tried to redirect my desktop via gpo and restrict to write permissions only and that hasn't worked. The primary school had the os bought by the High School who tried to install it and failed they ae no longer talking to each other. My Server knowledge is not the best although I have managed to refomat the server and create and image and deploy to the 30 workstations. You you please describe the steps I need to take?

FN-GM, I'm just using normal profiles not roaming, if thats what you mean.

Thank Post
    When you say "lock icon on my desktop items" I assume you mean to prevent themselves from becoming the organization of a reboot? If that's what you mean, then just copy then paste what is below to notepad, then click "File> Save as ..." at the top, save it on your desktop. when storing instead the option "Save as type" from "Text Documents (*. txt)" to "All Files" and the name of anything with a. reg. then close everything and click on the file and select "merger." also want to make sure you add the "Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00". the creation of the registry holds the position of the items on the desktop by closing

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Policies \ Explorer]
    "NoSaveSettings" = hex (3): 00,00,00,00

Thank Post
    Sorry for the confusion, as it's a Primary School all I want to do is have program shortcuts on the desktop that the children can't move or delete. I've disabled the right mouse click but just cant find where to lock them into position.

Thank Post
    HI

Did anyone find a solution how to fix the icons on the desktop in place using a registry or gpo setting. The kids here have just started moving them round the screen.

Thanks for all your help.

Richard

Thank Post
    If you have a read only desktop folder then your first option could be 'Don't save settings at exit' gpo located in User configuration\Desktop. Other than that I think it can only be done by a mandatory profile. You can set the icons to auto arrange and view by date or name and then whenever they move one it should spring back exactly where it came from. If you set this when you create the mandatory profile the setting will persist over all the users and disabling the right click will mean that it can't be changed.

Thank Post
    HI

The desktop is redirected to the server and read only . The students cannot write to it but are dragging the files round the screen.

We have tried the regsitry key for 'Don't save settings at exit but that did not stop them. According to microsoft autoarrange is the default but if the students move icon they stop where they have been put for that student. Then when they come to click on them that cannot find them. So what I need to do is stop them moving the icon.

How are you applying autoarrange.

Richard

Thank Post
    I use a little program called desklock .... its free and can be run on logon to lock the desktop .... you can do a search and you will find it OK ...
    Cheers
    Brian

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    I use a little program called desklock .... its free and can be run on logon to lock the desktop .... you can do a search and you will find it OK ...
    Cheers
    Brian
    Looks good and as though it will do what you want find it here as some links are commercial product with same name

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I had no server/network knowlage either earlier this year and keep taking on new tasks so I like to write things pretty basic
    We just use a redirection by group policy so teachers, students, admin etc all have different desktop shares, share permissions is set to everyone, security permissions are set using your AD groups so all admin staff are in a AD group called Admin, make sure they ret to Read only and the are denied all other permisisons beside list/display and read.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bondbill2k2 View Post
    I had no server/network knowlage either earlier this year and keep taking on new tasks so I like to write things pretty basic
    We just use a redirection by group policy so teachers, students, admin etc all have different desktop shares, share permissions is set to everyone, security permissions are set using your AD groups so all admin staff are in a AD group called Admin, make sure they ret to Read only and the are denied all other permisisons beside list/display and read.
    This is already done.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brpilot99 View Post
    Cheers
    Brian
    Thanks is there command line options so that it only locks the desktop and not the right click.

Richard

Thank Post
    Hi

I have copied the desklock onto the a server and started it with a gpo logon script and linked it to a student. The group policy applies but does not load. How are you deploying this package. Do you copy it to the machine and run it locally

Richard

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast