+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, redirecting Application data to a mapped drive in Technical; This is the only way I can get Adobe reader to not crash.. BUT i am having issues with new ...
    Thank Post

redirecting Application data to a mapped drive

This is the only way I can get Adobe reader to not crash.. BUT i am having issues with new users and the fact that gpo is mapping the drive before the redirection policy has been applied.

Has anyone done this and got any tips?

Thank Post
    Use a UNC rather than a drive letter?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    You CAN get it working with a UNC path so long as you set some very specific permissions on said UNC path. Most security-minded admins will have set up their redirected AppData so that users can only read and modify their own AppData, and not those of other users. This causes Adobe Reader to vomit, for detailed reasons that can be summarised as "because Adobe programmers are useless idiots".

The key is this: your users need to have the Traverse folder / execute file right on every folder from the root of the share all the way to their AppData folder.

If you give them Read access to each folder between the root and their AppData, they get this right automatically, but if you are restricting them to only seeing their own folder, they won't get it by default.

Granting them this single NTFS right does not give them access to open the folder in Explorer and read the files - it's a very specific right. In DOS terms, it's like allowing them to do a CD but not a DIR.

Thank Post
    All of the folders have this permission on them.. I haven't really done anything special with the appdata security either, just left it as it is.

I'm going to have another look at it today while its quiet, so ill post back results.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craigg View Post
    This is the only way I can get Adobe reader to not crash.. BUT i am having issues with new users and the fact that gpo is mapping the drive before the redirection policy has been applied.

Has anyone done this and got any tips?
    Don't you mean the other way around? That the policy is applying *before* the drive is mapped?

We use Adobe Reader on WinXP and redirect app data to a subfolder of a network drive, but the network drive in question is the user's home drive, so maps pretty quickly (before the policy applies).

Thanks,

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    Don't you mean the other way around? That the policy is applying *before* the drive is mapped?

We use Adobe Reader on WinXP and redirect app data to a subfolder of a network drive, but the network drive in question is the user's home drive, so maps pretty quickly (before the policy applies).

Thanks,

Bruce.
    Yes haha that’s what i should have said.

I managed to solve the issue without the redirection yesterday so i thought I'd post back with my findings.

I Ended up un-ticking Grant user exclusive rights to appdata then creating a new appdata share and letting it repopulate. This appears to let adobe check the permissions of the appdata folder and create the necessary folders and as a result it doesn’t fall over.

There is still an issue with our version of acrobat pro but I'm pretty certain that just needs an update and most people use reader here anyway.

Thanks for all of your help!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread