+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, DIY server education? in Technical; I want to get myself up to speed with Server 2008 R2, but it will have to be at a ...
    Thank Post

DIY server education?

I want to get myself up to speed with Server 2008 R2, but it will have to be at a personal level as I don't think anyone is going to pay for me to go on course and the like!

So, as an individual, how could I go about this?

In essence, I want to set up my own network/domain (I have the kit to do this at home) and then learn how to configure the server, administer Active Directory (GPO's etc) and perhaps Exchange.

I know jack about setting up an outfit in this way, so I am asking here how I might go about it. As I say, I have the kit at home to be able to do it (fairly hefty tower PC, couple of laptops I can log into the domain on), but no other resources such as software, manuals etc.

Licensing?

Advice, guidance, help!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    VMWare & couple of teach yourself MS books for about £30 on the topics you want/need (Exachange, AD, Windows 2008R2).

Download 90/180 day trials of the software from MS.

Thank Post
    Evaluation versions are availible from microsoft.com, I think they last between 60 and 180 days. Manual wise I'd either buy a certification/reference book or just use technet if you get stuck

your probably better off using Virtual Server or Hyper-V depending on the hardware you have

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Might as well put the knowledge to good use and be prepped for a cert exam, and if so get a self-paced book for said exams. They teach everything (mostly) need to know, and are pretty good, I still have some myself.

Thank Post
    You need to get a copy of

MCTS exam 70-640 "Configuring Windows Server 2008 Active Directory

MCITP Exam 70-646 "Windows server Administration"

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Or see if the school would buy you an Technet Subscription to get the software you need: TechNet Subscriptions FAQ

Seems like it would be a good move for them, as you're willing to put your own time and hardware in to upskill

Thank Post
    You will find books by Mark Minasi to be wrote in an easy to read style. I use this one to fill in the gaps that the MS press books leave out. You will also find that the MS press books are not always the best to learn from unless you are planning to do the exams as well as unfortunately the have a habit of lots of errors creeping in.
    Other things you can try online are the Microsoft Virtual labs. These will allow you to log onto a VM via your web browser to complete a specified lab. They are usually short and very specific, but they are good none the less.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the replies folks, just a couple of things.

1. I would like full versions of the software - cheapest way to get this is? Technet?

2. Would prefer to not involve employer as there is a always a prerequisite to that sort of arrangement, I'd rather go it alone, obviously if the cost isn't prohibitive.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Eval versions are full versions with limited life span, they are usually enterprise with all features running.

Thank Post
    I presume full life span versions are expensive as eval versions keep getting mentioned? Apologies, know nothing about the cost of these things at this stage. I do wonder how an individual would go about 'training' yourself over a period of a few months if you only get a short evaluation time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by theeldergeek View Post
    Thanks for the replies folks, just a couple of things.

1. I would like full versions of the software - cheapest way to get this is? Technet?

2. Would prefer to not involve employer as there is a always a prerequisite to that sort of arrangement, I'd rather go it alone, obviously if the cost isn't prohibitive.
    Bout £289 from Microsoft, though you might be able to find discount codes online: TechNet Subscription Professional - Buy from Microsoft Store UK

Still be far cheaper than individual licensing, plus lets you try out some of the spangly high-end stuff.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Full benefits:

The ultimate resource for IT professionals
    TechNet Subscription Professional is a comprehensive subscription resource to help IT professionals evaluate, test, and troubleshoot Microsoft software within enterprise environments. IT Professionals can access full-version software for evaluating and supporting both enterprise and desktop environments. TechNet Subscription Professional includes all benefits of MicrosoftTechNet Subscription Standard plus additional enterprise software titles, two complimentary Professional Support Calls, and six additional E-Learning courses (12 total).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GREED View Post
    Might as well put the knowledge to good use and be prepped for a cert exam, and if so get a self-paced book for said exams. They teach everything (mostly) need to know, and are pretty good, I still have some myself.
    To be honest, I'm not really interested in exams and certification as by the time I'm ready to use it, there'll have been something new in place and my qualification will mean jack. No, this is for personal progression only, merely with a view to understanding MS Server and associated software better for whatever I go on to do with said knowledge.

Thank Post
    Microsoft run 2 useful programmes under which you may be eligible for Windows Server 2008R2

Microsoft DreamSpark and Microsoft BizSpark

There is also WebsiteSpark
    Last edited by somabc; 9th December 2010 at 02:01 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    Microsoft run 2 useful programmes under which you may be eligible for Windows Server 2008R2

Microsoft Dreamspark

and

Microsoft BizSpark
    For full time students/educational establishments and software development startups respectively

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast