+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, RemoteApp small problem in Technical; Hi, I've got remote app running happily, im almost ready to let staff use it apart from one minor issue... ...
    Thank Post

RemoteApp small problem

Hi,

I've got remote app running happily, im almost ready to let staff use it apart from one minor issue...

When people login to remote app from the start page i've got it to automatically but domain\ in the username box, that's good and they login ok, they click on an app and then it asks you for your login again....at this point they have to manually type domain\username. I need to get it to default to domain and only require them to enter the username OR how do i implement single sign on so they just login to the system and from that point they don't have to login to apps etc?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,662 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this from machines within the local domain or outside of school?

Try adding the site to the Local Intranet Zone in IE. Then it shouldn't ask for a password at all.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

mrbios (1st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Outside of school

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ah well ignore me then

Thank Post
    Still a handy suggestion incase i decide to use it in school though, so thank you

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
    Still a handy suggestion incase i decide to use it in school though, so thank you
    glad i could be some help.

Thank Post
    Hi,

This is to do with Digital Certificates. I'm guessing you use internally generated digital certificates, in which case, you need to generate a certificate for each internal Session Host server and then import that into your Gateway/Web Access server (or Web Access) server. Make sure it uses that certificate and that gets rid of the issues.

I'll try and find the guide I found on the net and post a link.

Thanks,

Rob

9. Thanks to robknowles from:

mrbios (1st December 2010)

Thank Post
    Cheers Rob

I've tried it with both automatically generated certs and we also have a domain wildcard certificate. As far as im aware there are 3 locations i can set the certificates within remote desktop services settings, i can set this certificate on two of these but on the 3rd one (can't remember which it is inparticular) i can't access the site externally as ISA gets funny, i've got the certificate on both the ISA and the TSgateway/remoteapp servers certificate stores but it still doesn't work.

If that's what i need to play with though then i'll focus on that, it at least puts me on the right track Cheers

Thank Post
    single sign on also requires a specifc version of the rdp client, and works better in 7 than it does in xp. There;s an authentican level settings for the rdp file which i think helps too.

Thank Post
    After fighting this for a few days I found the magic bullet to all my double authentication woes... turns out the renderscript.js file doesn't work correctly in terms of handling the authentication cookies... a few lines of code added in solved all my issues

Getting multiple credential prompts when connecting to Remote Desktop Remote Apps - Ask the Performance Team - Site Home - TechNet Blogs

Having tested it out I've come to some conclusions on the user experience if we roll out RemoteApp \ RD Web Access functionality to our staff... just wondering if anyone could confirm what I've found?

The aim is to have a remote access setup for staff to either work from home on documents (without downloading them to a local PC) and also to run apps at external centres that may have old versions of Office etc installed. That suggests two features...

• Remote Desktop Gateway (https-based access to a Remote Desktop session)
    • RemoteApp via RD Web Access for the apps

Setting up the SSL certificates went OK and installing the roles was nice and simple, RemoteApp SSO works OK but there's still a few gotchas...

• for the WebSSO to work on a non-domain joined PC the client has to be running the RDC 7.0 client. That's included with Windows 7 but requires an update for Vista \ XP SP3.
    • if the user wants to launch a Remote Desktop session via the RD Web Access interface it asks for credentials again. This is by design I think (although there's a hotfix for 7 to enable SSO here, don't think there's anything for XP as far as I can tell)

So the problem with this is quite obvious from a user point of view needing to install updates and assuming admin rights to install the updated RDC client, which is far from ideal. The alternative is a minimum of two login boxes, which have to be filled in with the DOMAIN\USERNAME prefix. That's ignoring the ActiveX control and untrusted publisher warnings (MS seem to think a GPO is a suitable fix for this even though the REMOTE part of the product suggests the machines won't be on our AD!)

If I leave the RemoteApp out of it and just want the Remote Desktop via Gateway I think all I need is a pretty web page with a link to the .rdp file as far as I can tell?

Any thoughts on how it's worked for anyone who's had it implemented so far?
    Last edited by gshaw; 4th November 2011 at 12:46 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread