+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Record data during login, how would you do it? in Technical; We're wanting to gather data across our campus of student and computer activity trends. I first started recording basic things ...
    Thank Post

Record data during login, how would you do it?

We're wanting to gather data across our campus of student and computer activity trends. I first started recording basic things like username, OU of user (grade), what computer and where that computer is located (also OU). I was using VBS at login, porting this info to text file and using a quick converter to open the info in PivotViewer .

All was well untill we wanted to get more info such as how many times each user logged into x machine and how many times per day during what period etc. So I tried writing the info in VBS to an excel spreadsheet. Turns out though that the spreadsheet can only be opened by one user at a time, and this wouldn't be a good solution for students signing in at a lab at the same time.

So now I'm at an impass, and open to any other ideas. Should I do something in VBS and store data to an Access DB? Is there a better method or another way of soing this?

I should note that we will need to export the data to excel to be turned into a format for the PivotViewer. Other than that I'm open to suggestions!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Use a SQL express database, an access MDB will give you the same problems and be slow, it also has issues if you are hitting it from an x64 station.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

jmair (1st December 2010)

Thank Post
    I'll download it now and give it a shot! Thanks SYNACK!

Thank Post
    How about using EventCreate in a logon script - you can get all clients to log to one central machine .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread