+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Data Protection Manager 2010 - Incremental Backups in Technical; Just been reading the quickstart documentation... Release Notes: Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010 " DPM 2010 does not ...
    Thank Post
    Just been reading the quickstart documentation...

Release Notes: Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
    "DPM 2010 does not provide system protection for Windows Server 2003"

Which although I can understand as I guess it uses newer features in 2008 it's rather annoying as we won't be moving to 2008 until the virtual environment is implemented and settled in. In which case in a VMWare environment with Server 2003 VMs what would be the best solution... just backup the VM itself via the VMWare APIs for system protection then use DPM just for data?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Just been reading the quickstart documentation...

Release Notes: Microsoft System Center Data Protection Manager 2010
    "DPM 2010 does not provide system protection for Windows Server 2003"
    That's a pain, I was looking to do that. At least it can still protect the files on them though. Anyone know if it can backup SQL Server 2005 Express, it says in the documentation that it will backup SQL servers but nothing about the express versions.

EDIT: Just tested it on a VM, backup of SQL Express works.
    Last edited by LinkZ; 25th November 2010 at 03:51 PM.

Thank Post
    @oxide54 - Do you backup any Hyper V with your DPM? I have a blade setup with 6 hyper v servers but when se to back these up, the servers restart and blue screen

Thank Post
    no i'm vsphere based here, I don't backup the hosts. I do have the configuration documented though and the documentation is backed up,

i then backup the VM's in the same way you would if they were physical machines, agent installed etc.

which is blue screening the VM or the Hyper-V host?

I would have gone for veam but DPM was cheap and works very nicely for us.

i don't won't to get into a hyper-v vs ... debate but I think hyper-v is too immature a product to use in production use, microsoft have a long track record of producing products that are okay after a number versions have been released. I suprised how good DPM is after 3 release. (i suspect they sub-contracted it ) having said that I can see why people go for it. integration with products like DPM and cost factor.

the way I see it is like using windows for file and print sharing 10 years ago, nice idea, but wouldn't want to trust it in production use. especially in our case where every server is virtualized ( except the DPM servers because they need hudge disk space, and direct access to tape drives)

Thank Post
    So if you use vsphere, do you just backup the contents of the vm's how would you go about doing a restore?

Also what type of back schedule do you use, I am getting my self a little confused with the terminology what's a full back every day? Are the recovery points just snap shots of that point in time not full backups

Thank Post
    what type of restore?? a full restore of a vm or of some files?

in a complete disaster?

install esxi.

create a vm, boot off windows cd, select restore from backup, give it the vhd file you restored from the tape.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ful56_uk View Post
    lso what type of back schedule do you use, I am getting my self a little confused with the terminology what's a full back every day? Are the recovery points just snap shots of that point in time not full backups
    it makes a copy of the whole thing, this is the replica.
    then it stores differences between the replica and the current state in the recovery point.

oversimplistic explanation, but its about it.

Thank Post
    I was surprised when I read your post, as I'd already seen this on their website.

System Center Data Protection Manager: 2010 Overview

Continuous data protection of Windows application and file servers to seamlessly integrated disk, tape, and cloud — with support for a growing list of Microsoft technologies, such as:

•Windows Server from 2003 through 2008 R2

If the product can provide system protection from 2008 and 2008 R2, but not 2003, then I think that should have made this clear on their website.

I'd assumed that because 2003 was listed it could provide system protection for it. A real shame that, how many Schools/Colleges have upgraded all their servers to 2008 yet?

Bruce.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce123 View Post
    I was surprised when I read your post, as I'd already seen this on their website.

System Center Data Protection Manager: 2010 Overview

Continuous data protection of Windows application and file servers to seamlessly integrated disk, tape, and cloud — with support for a growing list of Microsoft technologies, such as:

•Windows Server from 2003 through 2008 R2

If the product can provide system protection from 2008 and 2008 R2, but not 2003, then I think that should have made this clear on their website.

I'd assumed that because 2003 was listed it could provide system protection for it. A real shame that, how many Schools/Colleges have upgraded all their servers to 2008 yet?

Bruce.
    it does system protection not bare metal restore.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12