+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Installing Sophos EC on 2008 in Technical; Anyone else got Sophos Enterprise Console installed on 2008 R2? I can't get it to install as it always crashes ...
    Thank Post

Installing Sophos EC on 2008

Anyone else got Sophos Enterprise Console installed on 2008 R2? I can't get it to install as it always crashes out with the error 2878, and Sophos Support just direct me to an article which tells me to 'check AD for duplicates' which doesn't really help me much.

I've got EC 4.5 running fine on 2003, but need to move it to a newer 2008 server.

Thank Post
    Their latest version might have fixed this issue, but if not, this is the document I made for our techs when I got it working:

1. Copy the unpacked “sec_45” directory (as generated by the SFX download) to the Windows 7 machine. E.g. "C:\sec_45".

2. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) running as Administrator (This is important otherwise the installation will fail). To do so, search for cmd.exe in the “Search programs and files” search field in the Start menu. When it appears above, you can right click and choose “Run as administrator”.

3. In the command prompt, change directory to C:\sec_45\ServerInstaller\.

CD C:\sec_45\ServerInstaller\

4. Run:

"Sophos Enterprise Console.msi" OVERRIDECHECKS=TRUE

5. At the “Setup Type” page, choose “Custom” and then ensure just the “Management console” feature is selected. Do not choose a “Complete” installation or choose to install any other components.

6. On the “Management Server” page choose the IP, or hostname of the machine where the Sophos Management Service is installed and then continue with the install.

7. Before launching Enterprise Console, ensure that your account is a member of the necessary groups, namely “Sophos Console Administrators” and if the user hasn’t be granted specific access through RBA then also “Sophos Full Administrators".

8. From the Start menu you should be able to launch "Enterprise Console".

Thank Post
    Thanks for that - I eventually got it working (by fluke I think!) but now the update manager won't work. It simply refuses to connect to the proxy server (even though the settings are the same as on the old server)

Thank Post
    I had this same problem running Sophos console from Server 2008. Sophos asked me to run and send off a diagnostic and then suggested it may be due to .net 4. They suggested:
    open up services and stop the sophos management service. Once stopped go to the log on tab and change the logon from system to the domain admin or local admin account. Then restart the service. Try opening the console now.

It worked for me.

The problem I have now is it will not install on my server 2008 r2s or my Win7 machines - but that's a different thread! Sophos are still looking into that.

Thank Post
    I've come to realise that when Sophos ask for the diagnostics its time to give up as they never seem to find a solution!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread