Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Installing Sophos EC on 2008 in Technical; Anyone else got Sophos Enterprise Console installed on 2008 R2? I can't get it to install as it always crashes ...
2nd November 2010, 12:49 PM #1
Installing Sophos EC on 2008
Anyone else got Sophos Enterprise Console installed on 2008 R2? I can't get it to install as it always crashes out with the error 2878, and Sophos Support just direct me to an article which tells me to 'check AD for duplicates' which doesn't really help me much.
I've got EC 4.5 running fine on 2003, but need to move it to a newer 2008 server.
10th November 2010, 09:37 PM #2
- Rep Power
Their latest version might have fixed this issue, but if not, this is the document I made for our techs when I got it working:
1. Copy the unpacked “sec_45” directory (as generated by the SFX download) to the Windows 7 machine. E.g. "C:\sec_45".
2. Open a command prompt (cmd.exe) running as Administrator (This is important otherwise the installation will fail). To do so, search for cmd.exe in the “Search programs and files” search field in the Start menu. When it appears above, you can right click and choose “Run as administrator”.
3. In the command prompt, change directory to C:\sec_45\ServerInstaller\.
"Sophos Enterprise Console.msi" OVERRIDECHECKS=TRUE
5. At the “Setup Type” page, choose “Custom” and then ensure just the “Management console” feature is selected. Do not choose a “Complete” installation or choose to install any other components.
6. On the “Management Server” page choose the IP, or hostname of the machine where the Sophos Management Service is installed and then continue with the install.
7. Before launching Enterprise Console, ensure that your account is a member of the necessary groups, namely “Sophos Console Administrators” and if the user hasn’t be granted specific access through RBA then also “Sophos Full Administrators".
8. From the Start menu you should be able to launch "Enterprise Console".
15th November 2010, 01:33 PM #3
- Rep Power
Thanks for that - I eventually got it working (by fluke I think!) but now the update manager won't work. It simply refuses to connect to the proxy server (even though the settings are the same as on the old server)
17th February 2011, 11:52 AM #4
- Rep Power
I had this same problem running Sophos console from Server 2008. Sophos asked me to run and send off a diagnostic and then suggested it may be due to .net 4. They suggested:
open up services and stop the sophos management service. Once stopped go to the log on tab and change the logon from system to the domain admin or local admin account. Then restart the service. Try opening the console now.
It worked for me.
The problem I have now is it will not install on my server 2008 r2s or my Win7 machines - but that's a different thread! Sophos are still looking into that.
17th February 2011, 01:43 PM #5
I've come to realise that when Sophos ask for the diagnostics its time to give up as they never seem to find a solution!
By flashsnaps in forum Mac
Last Post: 9th April 2009, 04:13 AM
By _Bat_ in forum Windows
Last Post: 23rd February 2007, 07:46 PM
By Dos_Box in forum Windows
Last Post: 18th December 2006, 11:07 PM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)