+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, SCE 2010 - what am i doing wrong? in Technical; so i installed SCE2010 today, hoping to deploy windows movie maker from the live essentials packaged as described on angrytechnicians ...
    Thank Post

SCE 2010 - what am i doing wrong?

so i installed SCE2010 today, hoping to deploy windows movie maker from the live essentials packaged as described on angrytechnicians website.

I've installed it all, set it up, added just a single classroom to it so far, of which i can see all 30 PCs, i setup the package for deployment as per the instructions with the command line flags etc.

Hit a bit of a snag in that i've no idea if it's doing what it's meant to be doing... all 30 PCs processed into the "In Progress" section of the software deployment, first off they were set to "Not installed" now 85% of them are "Downloaded" but they've been like that for over 2 hours. Have i got to do anything or have i done anything wrong up to this point? SCE is completely new to me.

EDIT: under "installation parameters" this is what i've got: /q /NoLaunch /NoToolbarCEIP /NoHomepage /NoSearch /AppSelect:Writer,MovieMaker (same as what AngryTechnician has on his site)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 761 Posts
    Software deployment in SCE works by adding packages to the local WSUS catalogue. This means software is deployed via the normal Windows Update client. What it sounds like is that the machines have detected the software, downloaded it ready to install, and are now waiting until their scheduled update time to perform the installation.

Check the event logs; there should an event that looks like this:

Log Name: System
    Source: Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
    Date: 22/10/2010 01:12:56
    Event ID: 18
    Task Category: Automatic Updates
    Level: Information
    Keywords: Success,Download
    User: SYSTEM
    Computer: uberstation.angrytech.internal
    Description:
    Installation Ready: The following updates are downloaded and ready for installation. This computer is currently scheduled to install these updates on 22 October 2010 at 22:00:
    - Windows Live Essentials 2011

If you see something like this, everything is working normally. You have two options:

1. Wait until the scheduled update time.
    2. Run Windows Update manually on each machine.

3. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

mrbios (22nd October 2010)

Thank Post
    Excellent cheers for the help there and cheers for the excellent blog post on your site hopefully by the time i go in on monday that'll be deployed and ready, think updates run every weekend if i remember correctly, so long ago i set that up

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread