+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, RDP 7 in Technical; When using a thin client, has anyone successfully managed to render sound and flash content properly without paying for any ...

Thank Post

RDP 7

When using a thin client, has anyone successfully managed to render sound and flash content properly without paying for any software. I believe that all the work was meant to be done locally on the client. I think that RDP 7 is the issue to be honest.

Thanks in anticipation, i do understand that similar threads have been raised before.

Thank Post
    Citrix HDX does that by rendering it on the client and RemoteFX from Microsoft is looking pretty good - both are paied for solutions though and I don't know of any software that will do it for free.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam View Post
    When using a thin client, has anyone successfully managed to render sound and flash content properly without paying for any software. I believe that all the work was meant to be done locally on the client. I think that RDP 7 is the issue to be honest.
    Yes. If you mean, literally, without paying for any software at all then try Edubuntu - Ubuntu-based thin clients in a nice, all-in-one install. I have also set up thin clients running Linux using RDesktop to connect via RDP to a Server 2008 R2 Terminal Services machine. That would have been using RDP 5.2. Running Server 2008 R2 server-side and having a modern PC / graphics capability client-side (we tested on Acer Aspire Revos, so modern but at £200 each not the most expensive PC) seemed to make the difference. Admittedly I didn't get to see the above running in a day-to-day situation and we did only try YouTube videos, nothing fancier.

If you particularly want to run RDP 7 then Windows XP Home includes an RDP 7-capable client - you could buy second-hand Windows XP machines off eBay at £30 each and use them as thin clients. I don't know how good vieo performance will be on those, though - RDP doesn't make old video hardware run any faster.

--
    David Hicks

4. Thanks to dhicks from:

Liam (13th October 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread