+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, wds stops working on clients pxe-e32 tftp open timeout in Technical; Yeah, great fix pobably saved me spending half the day going through the Microsoft "help". Cheers mate!!...

Thank Post
    Yeah, great fix pobably saved me spending half the day going through the Microsoft "help". Cheers mate!!

Thank Post
    This problem still seems to be happening as I just encountered it.

There does seem to be a Microsoft Knowledge Base article on it now at least.

Thank Post
    I suspect its due to running wds on a dc but when you have 1 server tough

Thank Post
    Arrived to work this morning and same problem. thanks for the fix

Thank Post
    Just came and found this issue when I have 5 brand new ThinkCentre Edge PCs to build... THANK YOU!!!

Thank Post
    This thread may be nearly three years old but this just fixed a WDS on one of my sites. Thanks for the fix.

Thank Post
    Good fix thanks, did not solve my problem immediately but if anyone else is still having the same problem after this fix check that your UDP Port Range in the Network Settings of WDS are set from 50000 to 65000 seems to have fixed the issue for me.

8. Thanks to Griff from:

hyb80 (26th July 2013)

Thank Post

awesome

This saved my clonezill asetup thanks so much

Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    incase this happens to anyone else (just happened to me after installing an update on the server and a couple of clients i rebuilt wouldnt boot as they just hung waiting for a tftp offer)

has happened to me after a windows update on server 2008 r2 (aparantly happens on straight 2008 as well) basically its due to having dns server on the same machine as wds dns pinches the ports the tftp service needs. This can leed to pcs not booting at all just sitting there failing to tftp if their boot order has lan set higher than hdd.

2008r2 fix

run regedit

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WDSServer\Parameters

Right-click UdpPortPolicy, and then click Modify.
    In the Value data box, type 0, and then click OK.
    On the File menu, click Exit to exit Registry Editor.
    Restart the Windows Deployment Services service.

2008 r1

Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image, click Administrative Tools, and then click Windows Deployment Services. If there is no server that is listed under the Servers node, right-click the Servers node, and then click Add Server to add the local computer.
    In the navigation pane of the Windows Deployment Services MMC snap-in, expand the list of servers.
    Right-click the server for Windows Deployment Services, and then click Properties.
    Under Network, increase the UDP Port range. For example, if the current port range is 3,000 ports, increase the port range to 4,000 ports

Thank Post
    In case anyone else gets this error and they have tried both increasing the port range and tweaking the UDPportPolicy setting via the registry, I have found another possible cause and solution.

In the past I have found that either "increasing the port range" or "tweaking the UDPportPolicy via the registry" sorts any problems that I have had with WDS and client computers displaying the PXE - tftp open timeout errors when attempting to download images. Naturally these were the first things I tried when I came to work today and found that other techs were reporting clients displaying the infamous open timeout error. Unlucky for me this didn't work.

Solution

1)Looking in the "Application and Services Log> Deployment-Services-Diagnostics" -on the WDS Server, I could see that the client was booting and talking to the WDS server successfully. IP on the clients PXE boot screen tallied with the IP logged on the WDS server with this event below;
    Event ID: 4096
    The Following Client PXE Booted:
    MAC: 00000000000000BLAHBLAH
    IP: 123.123.123.50

I could see however that the server wasn't logging any of the following normal events to signify that the client managed to get the boot wim.
    Event ID's: 4099 or 4100
    The Following Client started the TFTP Download

2) Looking in "Windows Logs> Application" I discovered this lovely error message, indicating trouble with UDP port 69 when setting up the TFTP endpoint.
    Event ID: 772
    An error occurred while trying to create the UDP endpoint for WDSTFTP provider on interface 123.123.456.26:69. This can happen if
    the network interface was disabled or changed, or some other application is already using the port. The provider
    will not be able to receive requests on this interface.

Error Information: 0x2740

3)Next, I dumped the info about ports running using; netstat -abn >> NewFile.txt
    Searching the output for port 69 I discovered that javaw.exe was the culprit.
    UDP 123.123.456.26:69 *:*
    [javaw.exe]

As it turns out there had been an update for java a few days before this, after a restart javaw.exe decided it wanted to use port 69, which WDS requires for TFTP. Javaw.exe managed to nab the port before WDS got a chance, thus our lovely open timeout error.

4) I killed the javaw.exe process

5) Restarted the WDS service & boom, back in action, no more TFTP open timeout errors.

OK, I hope this helps someone else.

11. Thanks to andyire from:

Menov321 (23rd October 2013)

Thank Post
    How come your running wds on the same server as dns?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by free780 View Post
    How come your running wds on the same server as dns?
    in most cases i have 1 server so i cant not

Thank Post
    Hello everyone.
    I've been having this issue for quite some time now. I followed the instructions posted by OP by changing the UDP ports to reflect 50000-65000, with no joy.

I attempted to follow the procedures in the comment below and found in the "netstat -abn" that only 1 process was using port 69. That is the 'svchost.exe' and it shows that WDS is using it.
    That doesn't help at all because 1) I'm assuming WDS is supposed to be using it and 2) even if I needed to kill it, there are about 15 'svchost.exe' currently running when I check Processes.

Quote Originally Posted by andyire View Post
    In case anyone else gets this error and they have tried both increasing the port range and tweaking the UDPportPolicy setting via the registry, I have found another possible cause and solution.

In the past I have found that either "increasing the port range" or "tweaking the UDPportPolicy via the registry" sorts any problems that I have had with WDS and client computers displaying the PXE - tftp open timeout errors when attempting to download images. Naturally these were the first things I tried when I came to work today and found that other techs were reporting clients displaying the infamous open timeout error. Unlucky for me this didn't work.

Solution

1)Looking in the "Application and Services Log> Deployment-Services-Diagnostics" -on the WDS Server, I could see that the client was booting and talking to the WDS server successfully. IP on the clients PXE boot screen tallied with the IP logged on the WDS server with this event below;
    Event ID: 4096
    The Following Client PXE Booted:
    MAC: 00000000000000BLAHBLAH
    IP: 123.123.123.50

I could see however that the server wasn't logging any of the following normal events to signify that the client managed to get the boot wim.
    Event ID's: 4099 or 4100
    The Following Client started the TFTP Download

2) Looking in "Windows Logs> Application" I discovered this lovely error message, indicating trouble with UDP port 69 when setting up the TFTP endpoint.
    Event ID: 772
    An error occurred while trying to create the UDP endpoint for WDSTFTP provider on interface 123.123.456.26:69. This can happen if
    the network interface was disabled or changed, or some other application is already using the port. The provider
    will not be able to receive requests on this interface.

Error Information: 0x2740

3)Next, I dumped the info about ports running using; netstat -abn >> NewFile.txt
    Searching the output for port 69 I discovered that javaw.exe was the culprit.
    UDP 123.123.456.26:69 *:*
    [javaw.exe]

As it turns out there had been an update for java a few days before this, after a restart javaw.exe decided it wanted to use port 69, which WDS requires for TFTP. Javaw.exe managed to nab the port before WDS got a chance, thus our lovely open timeout error.

4) I killed the javaw.exe process

5) Restarted the WDS service & boom, back in action, no more TFTP open timeout errors.

OK, I hope this helps someone else.
    If anyone has any other ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaneDaughtrey View Post
    I attempted to follow the procedures in the comment below and found in the "netstat -abn" that only 1 process was using port 69. That is the 'svchost.exe' and it shows that WDS is using it.
    That doesn't help at all because 1) I'm assuming WDS is supposed to be using it and 2) even if I needed to kill it, there are about 15 'svchost.exe' currently running when I check Processes.
    If you add the -o switch to netstat (so netstat -abno) then it will also give you the process id of the svchost process that is using the port. You can then use something like process explorer to see what services are running in the svchost process with that id (services tab of the properties for the process in process explorer). There are likely to be several services in the process so it may not give you the culprit, but it might help.

Thank Post
    What version of Windows server are you running ?
    Have you tried:
    ================================================== =================================================
    2008r2 fix (Also applies to SBS2011)

run regedit

go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\WDSServer\Parameters

2008 r1

Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image, click Administrative Tools, and then click Windows Deployment Services. If there is no server that is listed under the Servers node, right-click the Servers node, and then click Add Server to add the local computer.
    In the navigation pane of the Windows Deployment Services MMC snap-in, expand the list of servers.
    Right-click the server for Windows Deployment Services, and then click Properties.
    Under Network, increase the UDP Port range. For example, if the current port range is 3,000 ports, increase the port range to 4,000 ports
    ================================================== ============================================
    Are you running SharePoint on this server ?
    If you are running SharePoint look for & fix any & all SharePoint related errors.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by james-aus View Post
    What version of Windows server are you running ?
    Have you tried:
    ================================================== =================================================
    2008r2 fix (Also applies to SBS2011)

run regedit

2008 r1

================================================== ============================================
    Are you running SharePoint on this server ?
    If you are running SharePoint look for & fix any & all SharePoint related errors.
    This is was the first thing I tried after reading this thread with no joy.
    I'm running Server 2008 R1, and this IS NOT our Sharepoint server. It is, however, our WSUS server.

If you add the -o switch to netstat (so netstat -abno) then it will also give you the process id of the svchost process that is using the port. You can then use something like process explorer to see what services are running in the svchost process with that id (services tab of the properties for the process in process explorer). There are likely to be several services in the process so it may not give you the culprit, but it might help.
    I will give this a shot and see if I can find the exact one. If I can find it should I go through the process of Stopping WDS service, killing the process, and restarting the WDS service?
    That sounds about right, I will post with an update soon.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast