+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, DNS gone haywire in Technical; We are running Server 2008r2 at my work and I was greeted this morning with slew of DNS and AD ...

Thank Post

DNS gone haywire

We are running Server 2008r2 at my work and I was greeted this morning with slew of DNS and AD Domain services errors. It looks like the DNS server is not resolving any local resources. We have only 1 DC which runs AD Domain services, DNS services, DHCP, and File and Print Services.

Currently we are able to access the internet just fine but no one can access the network folders on the DC.

I can't look at the DNS server settings because when I go to Server Manager and click on DNS I get an error message saying "The server SERVER could not be contacted. The error was: Access was denied. Would you like to add anyway?"

If I click yes, I can see my dns server but it has a red circle with a white dash over it and shows no settings. I can right-click and do a simple query and a recursive query test and they both pass. I get the same results when trying to use the DNS snap-in.

I'm not sure why I'm getting access denied since I using the Administrator account.

The AD Domain Services errors that are repeating are IDs 1869, 1655, and 1126.

The DNS errors include IDs 4000 and 4007. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Thank Post
    I'm not kidding when I say, "have you tried turning it off and on again!" you may also want to check the dns servers ip address and what it's pointing to for DNS.

Thank Post
    it appears my DNS install files have somehow gotten corrupted. The DNS server role is stuck in a limbo where it can't be installed or uninstalled fully.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread