+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Exchange 2010. Or not? in Technical; The more I read it seems that scaling 2010 to provide 1700 mailboxes is just not cost effective. Remember tho, ...
    Thank Post
    The more I read it seems that scaling 2010 to provide 1700 mailboxes is just not cost effective.
    Remember tho, that those accounts are pretty much inactive most of the day. I'd think that Microsoft's scaling guidelines are based more around corps were accounts are being hammered pretty much all day by static desktop users.

Thank Post
    Can you limit a lot of things like you can with exchange? eg: no student being able to email more than X amount of other students in one go, stop them sending emails to hotmail accounts and other external accounts from a list

Thank Post
    yes, we do that here, otherwise students would spam entire yeargroups!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    The only problem I can see is students having to log on to webmail instead of the single sign on we have now with exchange. Everything else would be an improvement though I have no idea what students would do with 8gb storage! They currently do just fine with 50mb
    There are a bunch of different single sign on methods for google apps, remember it isn't just an email solution - (with google apps) they use the storage space for eportfolios, hosting their own sites and other work.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh looks like live@edu does as well.

Not sure how easy it is to implement though

Live@edu

All this stuff is definitely the future though.

Thank Post
    There is a single sign-on option for Live@Edu, which also provides 25Gb online storage and other Live services for online collaboration, including live editing of Office docs.. not seen the Google one though, so can't compare really.

Thank Post
    We still use Exchange 2003 for 100+ teachers & staff. The number mailboxes would probably increase to 150+ in the next 3 years. Is it better to just keep Exchange 2003 or move to 2010? From what I gather, it takes a lot of time, patience, and talent to manage an Exchange 2010 server but I wanted things to be simpler and easier.
    • Replace Exchange 2003 with Zimbra or a similar product
    • Stay with Exchange 2003
    • Migrate to Exchange 2010

What's your opinion?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    If it's available in your area it's worth considering a move to the free Live@edu offering as you can run it in parallel and it uses 2010. Then change in your time.

Thank Post
    Can we still use the full features of Outlook 2010 with Live@Edu? It would be great if Outlook 2010 wouldn't be dumbed down to just a front-end email client. The students are already using Google Apps and they're quite okay with it. It also is a pain to manage any Exchange server, I'd rather use an off-campus solution or something that is easy to maintain.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,306 Times in 1,088 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pran View Post
    Can we still use the full features of Outlook 2010 with Live@Edu? It would be great if Outlook 2010 wouldn't be dumbed down to just a front-end email client. The students are already using Google Apps and they're quite okay with it. It also is a pain to manage any Exchange server, I'd rather use an off-campus solution or something that is easy to maintain.
    As far as i know yes the webmail client is fully functional, including having office apps open in it like they do in hotmail. Also, you can you live@edu with a regular outlook client on the desktop and it works fine, really well in fact.

I've tried to use the collaboration features built in to live service and it was difficult and hard to get to grips with. I asked a teacher to try also and he found that google was still far easier for the primary students to use, so it is a bit limited, though i've not fully tested.

As the business offerings expand such as Office365 etc, the free side will also develop further so it's an area that will keep getting better. It's defo worth out sourcing exchange as it's one less hassle to deal with.

Thank Post
    Live@Edu is being morphed into "Office365 for Education". Perhaps we'll know more this time next week after MS have been at BETT but in the mean-time look at what I posted here mid Dec. The slide in that presentation is handy because it has info I haven't seen anywhere else e.g. we already knew the (school) managed collaboration will be done on Sharepoint, but the slide has numbers for the disk space.

It's defo worth out sourcing exchange as it's one less hassle to deal with.
    There is less to do, but you still have things to deal with when it's outsourced. I don't think Exchange is much trouble at all, including Exchange 2003. If it ain't broke don't fix it.. with an existing Exchange, unless the current requirements change (e.g. you want a lot more additional mailboxes than the h/w will handle) or some other factors turn up (e.g. server goes out of warranty) I would wait until O365fE has fully arrived.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,028 Times in 729 Posts
    @pran:

Why not move to G-mail which would integrate with your google apps instead of adding more cost to the schools budget.

Or your first choice: Zimbra which is free or you can purchase the enterprise version.

We use Zimbra here which we are in the process of virtualising, total accounts is less than yours but over 1000.

It all depends on how your staff and students use their accounts plus you are in control and not some corporation.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Just to update on our situation. We are currently running an old exchange 2003 box. The server is around 7 years old now so its time for an upgrade

We've decided to go with Live@edu for the upgrade and not exchange 2010. Its cheaper, has loads of storage and takes the server admin out of our hands which is great.

Testing live@edu with outlook, its totally transparent to the end user. Students will have to log in each time on webmail but I'm sure over the years we will find a solution to Single sign on.

So next summer we are going to move wholesale over to it for teachers, admin staff and students. Since we are becoming an academy, I'm going to go the whole hog and have a new shorted domain name as well.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12