+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, GPO Software deployment in Technical; First, has the share got read & execute permissions for everyone or just read? Second, if you login to the ...

Thank Post
    First, has the share got read & execute permissions for everyone or just read?
    Second, if you login to the machine, can you browse to the share and run the msi?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    First, has the share got read & execute permissions for everyone or just read?
    Share permissions can only be Full Control, Change or Read. You're talking about folder permissions - different animal!

Thank Post
    The share can only have read, and the folder permissions has read and execute

Thank Post
    Does each MSI need its own folder or does it not matter can they all be sat in the remdeploy folder?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timzim View Post
    Share permissions can only be Full Control, Change or Read. You're talking about folder permissions - different animal!
    Sorry, I meant the permissions on the root folder of the share, brain not in gear ;-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by neilmc View Post
    Does each MSI need its own folder or does it not matter can they all be sat in the remdeploy folder?
    Each need their own, if only to simplify management for you. Be a hell of a mess if they all sat in one folder.

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,298 Times in 888 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I seem to have all the correct information, security etc but for some reason just cannot seem to get it to deploy i have given the machine 3 or 4 gpupdate /force and restarted the machine still without any joy, I'm starting to wonder if the MSI is working as it shud but all i did is follow the instructions so i thought it would be nice and easy.
    Have you checked that there are no problems with the MSI?

Can you double click the MSI [with the MSI in its current location/folder] while logged on as the local or network administrator and have the software install?

Just a thought.

Thank Post
    No, you shouldn't really want your users to write to the share - they only need read & execute access. Make sure your deployment folder is on a network share which has read access for Everyone: you can always hide it with a $, e.g. \\server1\deployment$

Note: if you are assigning the software via Computer Configuration/Policies/Software Settings/Software Installation you will need to give Read access to the GPO for the MACHINE not the USER as it's not the User who is installing the software but the Machine (set this under Scope tab/Security Filtering for GPO). In this case you'll also have to make sure the Machine has read access to the share/install folder (although since machine accounts are also members of Authenticated Users, easier to give that group Read access to folder).
    sorry I meant to say only read

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post
    Have you checked that there are no problems with the MSI?

Can you double click the MSI [with the MSI in its current location/folder] while logged on as the local or network administrator and have the software install?

Just a thought.
    The MSI installed fine. but im guessing that since it asks for me to accept the t's & c's and asks for a custom or typical installation i need to create an answer/responce file?

Thank Post
    The MSI installed fine. but im guessing that since it asks for me to accept the t's & c's and asks for a custom or typical installation i need to create an answer/responce file?
    Run the msi from a command prompt as msiexec /i nameofmsi.msi /quiet and see if it installs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    Run the msi from a command prompt as msiexec /i nameofmsi.msi /quiet and see if it installs.
    I gave this a try but I can't seem to see if it is installing through Task Manager, and Ive waited 10 mins and nothing happened.

Thank Post
    For some reason as me on my machine it didn't work, but I logged on as admin and its installed fine doing it that way. So im guessing do i need to run this from a script ing GPO rather than the MSI itself?

Thank Post
    Looks like you don't have elevated install rights. You can still deploy via GPO though - just get the machine accounts to install, not the user accounts (as mentioned earlier).

Thank Post
    Looks like you don't have elevated install rights. You can still deploy via GPO though - just get the machine accounts to install, not the user accounts (as mentioned earlier).
    I have added a batch file to run at start up to install the software, is this correct? also does the script need to be in the redeploy/software folder or in the scripts folder in sysvol?

this is the script I have created

msiexec /i \\server\remdeploy\boardworksgcseseparatesciences\ boardworksgcseseparatesciences.msi /quiet

Im hoping that this is right

Thank Post
    You shoould already have done an administrative install to the network folder so why do a batch file? If not then do this:

You should start with nothing in the deployment folder
    Copy the original install msi into a local folder, e.g. c:\deploy, (just to make this easy)
    Run msiexec /a c:\deploy\boardworksgcseseparatesciences.msi from your workstation
    This should do an administrative install and ask for the network folder, in your case \\server\remdeploy\boardworksgcseseparatesciences
    It'll also ask for all the other info as per a usual install, e.g. serial numbers etc if reqd
    The msi it leaves in your network folder can now be run directly via the GPO, no script/batch file needed as you've already done all that. Just pick the newly-created msi when you set up the GPO

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12