+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, The end is near... Sorry long post in Technical; Having various issues here with slow logons, failed logons, slow response times, think you get the picture things are slow. ...

Thank Post

The end is near... Sorry long post

Having various issues here with slow logons, failed logons, slow response times, think you get the picture things are slow.

I'm trying to work out where the problem lies and i'm convinced it's the main server, although am not ruling out the network either.

I've been running performance monitor on our 2008R2 box and am trying to make sense of what is going on so hopefully you guys can help me out.

CPU % processor time is never really going above 30% even with 40+ users logging in so i'm ruling that out for now.

Memory usage again is low too, has 8G, so i'm trying to rule that out as well. Is there a specific counter i should be looking at?

Disk time is something i am a little worried about from a site i've been reading disk transfers/sec should be below 25 i/o or you get poor response times. Ours are averaging way above that. Is this point to disks being over worked? Problem?

Coming back to the actually network i'm not sure if it could be a faulty card or just the NIC being overloaded but our ping times to the server can be huge. We dont seem to loose any packets but doing 2 tests this morning averages could be as high as 340ms.

Sorry for the long post but i'm failing to find what is wrong and being a 1 man team haven't got anyone else to bounce ideas off. Any help with what or where to look or software that might help would be great.

Thanks!!!!

Thank Post
    loopback?
    are all your lights on your switches going crazy?

3. Thanks to jamin100 from:

dave.81 (16th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Are ping times between workstations ok? Are any of your switches going bonkers if so it could be a LAN storm caused by a loopback or something?

Check the duplex settings on the NIC in the server too (yes really!) I set one up and for some inexplicable reason it had defaulted to 100 Half Duplex so half the packets were getting lost all the time

5. Thanks to BatchFile from:

Thank Post
    I had similar, if not exact, problems like you mentioned a while ago.

What I did was, just so I can eliminate if it was a server problem or not, I pulled the server's network cable out from the main switch and plugged it into a 5-port desktop switch. I took a laptop and connected this to the desktop switch as well.

I noticed logging on/off, accessing files etc was a breeze. Plugged the server back into the main switch and the problems resurfaced again. In the end it turned out one of the switches I plugged the server back into was faulty, therefore it was replaced.

My NM and I had gone around the entire school and disconnected every workstation from a network point and checked to see if any were plugged from one point to another. This was before we tried the server with a desktop switch.

7. Thanks to Chuckster from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuckster View Post
    I had similar, if not exact, problems like you mentioned a while ago.

What I did was, just so I can eliminate if it was a server problem or not, I pulled the server's network cable out from the main switch and plugged it into a 5-port desktop switch. I took a laptop and connected this to the desktop switch as well.
    That's a good plan too - by putting an extra switch between the server and the network cab you can see exactly what's going on - that's actually how I isolated the duplex problem

9. Thanks to BatchFile from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    loopback?
    are all your lights on your switches going crazy?
    This is why you should set up spanning tree on your switches.

Thank Post
    I did think that to begin with but none of the procurve switches are picking up any issues and pinging any other machine, printer, switch etc in the College we get a pretty standard 0.5ms ping so i dont think it's a loopback anywhere.

I'm sat watching the performance monitor and we keep getting large gaps appear even though cpu/memor is below 30%. Cant work out if i'm look at 2 seperate issues, NIC and/or something else. Argh why do i work with computers lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    I'd still go around and disconnect the computers, maybe room by room? Or disconnect one or more switches to see if it makes any difference. Remember, just because it isnt telling you there is a problem doesnt mean there isnt one!

13. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Can you isolate parts of your network? unplug remote switch cabinets from the main core switch and see if the problem goes away.

Which is pretty much what Witch said above.

15. Thanks to JJonas from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JJonas View Post
    Can you isolate parts of your network? unplug remote switch cabinets from the main core switch and see if the problem goes away.

Which is pretty much what Witch said above.
    Yeah, but you phrased it so much more elegantly - and technically

17. Thanks to witch from:

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If your getting such large pings then its most likely a problem with the switches. As others have said its a simple test to cut off the main switches and only use 1 or even a different one for testing. If the ping improves then thats your problem. If it doesn't then yes look at the server.

19. Thanks to zag from:

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice guys and girls. I have spent a bit of time going through it all and it appears it was a faulty NIC that was causing the ping times being long and the logon issues. Have stuck in a new intel PRO GT and all of it has gone away. Stupid onboard Broadcom NIC's!!!

Thanks for the advice it pointed me in the right direction to solve this!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,679 Times in 2,272 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad to hear you got it solved, depending on the type of server that it is there may well be a firmware upgrade for the onboard NICs avalible at the vendor site which may get you two additional NICs to play with/use to increase throughput. I'd suggest having a look and giving them a firmware upgrade if avalible along with installing the latest driver to see if it gets those ports sorted.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread