+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Which backup software in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Which backup software

We have been using backup exec for years, even when it was veritas and it has never let us down. We were running BE 12 on 2003 R2 but now most of the servers are 2008 R2 we need something else which is going to be just as reliable.

I have had a look at MS DPM 2010, and to be fair, it just isnt what i want it to do. Basically, we backup to 2 NAS boxes each with 4x 1TB drives on a Raid 5 so this gives us about 2.7Tb of space on each NAS to play with. Ones a Netgear and other is a Buffalo and i cannot get MS DPM to see the NAS boxes at all, it only looks for Discs locally. Also, we backup to external HDD which will need to be encrypted as it is taken off site.

I have just installed BE 2010 and it was a breeze and i felt right at home with it, knowing it would do everything i want it to do.

I also have had a look at Backup Assit but that only backs up the server it is sat on and will not install agents on other servers.

I have been told about Arcserve backup solution, but this is more expensive than BE and also looked at acronis... that came back at £6,000.

Can anyone recommend any other backup programs which will back up Exchange, SQL, Files and Folders, backup to NAS boxes and can encrypt the backup too.

Tim

Thank Post
    Timbo are you backing up offsite, this maybe a option for you, having a company back up for you

Thank Post
    We aren't backing up off site, we are backing up to a NAS in another part of the site which is detacted from the building with the servers in and we take an External HDD home twice a week.

And i shall have a look at the barracudaware software.

Thanks

Tim

Thank Post
    Personally I would stay with Backup Exec, top quality bit of software and is all I would recommend other than NT backup for smaller amounts of data to be backed up.

5. Thanks to MatthewL from:

timbo343 (7th September 2010)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    Not sure if it quite does everything you are after ( i havn't had a chance to play with it yet! but its on my list) is Bacula an open source free backup software

7. Thanks to glennda from:

Thank Post
    Server Backup Software and Continuous Data Protection from R1Soft for Windows and Linux been using it for around 2 years now with great success.

Thank Post
    Hi Timbo.

Already said I know, but if you're happy with BE, why look further? We upgraded from 12.5 to 2010, and found that there was a definate performance boost - the backup finished a few hours earlier over the weekend. Backup is so important - if you're already a customer of Symantec, you like the BE product and the latest version will provide you with what you want (won't it?), then why look elsewhere? I know that it's not on your list, but we're also backing up a VMWare and a SAN environment, and this also works very well.

10. Thanks to digone52 from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Backup Exec and Symantec System Recovery are both pretty much fantastic! and work as you say like a dream I've been using it for a fair few years to be honest and it's great never fails thankfully (System Recovery Rocks)

James.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TopBanana View Post
    we have supplied the below into education with some success

BarracudaWare / Yosemite Technologies
    This is what we used and the reason I moved was partly down to the cost of purchasing the latest Symantec BackupExec agents as we were currently running 11D. The Yosemite solution comes with unlimited agents for around £1,000.

It took some tweaking at first to get it to work - but I am happy with it now.

Thank Post
    Currently using Backup Exec 2010 to backup 700GB of data from our fileservers, SQL boxes and Exchange box. Full backup on to a HP DL360 with 12* 360GB SAS drives is taking just over 4 hours. Can't really fault it!

@Edutech Does Symantec System Recovery integrate within Backup Exec 2010 or does it run as a seperate programme and have to duplicate any backingup?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread