+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, 2K8R2 Adding as DC to 2K3 domain - DNS hiccup? in Technical; Got a brand new 2008 R2 server that I've already joined to the 2k3 domain and done various other tasks ...
    Thank Post

2K8R2 Adding as DC to 2K3 domain - DNS hiccup?

Got a brand new 2008 R2 server that I've already joined to the 2k3 domain and done various other tasks like transferring in DHCP and also installing DNS as a secondary to the domain.

Where things are a tad unglued is that when I try to add the DC role it goes through the rigmarole of "Examining DNS configuration" for about a minute before reporting a warning of:
    A delegation for this DNS server cannot be created because the authoritative parent zone cannot be found or it does not run Windows DNS server. If you are integrating with an existing DNS infrastructure, you should manually create a delegation to this DNS server in the parent zone to ensure reliable name resolution from outside the domain "school.name.county.sch.uk". Otherwise, no action is required

Do you want to continue"
    Now I'm tempted to just continue but there's this little niggling warning in the back of my head that if I go ahead it could essentially setup yet another copy of the AD's DNS which I suspect would not go well...

I've checked back and whilst I had the DNS setup to be the secondary for the domain school.name.county.sch.uk I didn't have the _msdcs.school.name.county.sch.uk added to the DNS... That's been done but it's looking a lot like it's the same old problem...

Should I just remove the DNS role from the server, set the IP address on the NIC to the existing DNS server and install the DC again with DNS or something else?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This is because it can't contact and update auithorotive records for the DNS domain above yours, ie county.sch.uk as this is handled by a nonwindows server that you don't have admin rights over. Just continue and it should be fine. It just means it can't manage county DNS records so cant make itself accerssable to the outside world without manual help.

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

contink (1st September 2010)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    This is because it can't contact and update auithorotive records for the DNS domain above yours, ie county.sch.uk as this is handled by a nonwindows server that you don't have admin rights over. Just continue and it should be fine. It just means it can't manage county DNS records so cant make itself accerssable to the outside world without manual help.
    Of course... So simple when you know the answer...

Thanks, as always, Synack...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread