+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Print Server in Technical; I'm pushing printers out using GPP , work fine for computers (with targetting enabled). When pushing out for users i ...

Thank Post

Exclamation Print Server

I'm pushing printers out using GPP, work fine for computers (with targetting enabled).

When pushing out for users i get "access is denied" - the permissions on the printer has been changed, "everyone" removed. Specified user security group added (with full permission to manage the printer) / domain computers added to the printer.

When user logs in - no printer is added and the following appears in the event logs....

The user '' preference item in the '[USER] Default User Policy' Group Policy object did not apply because it failed with error code '0x80070005 Access is denied.' This error was suppressed.

Help appreciated!

Thank Post
    There's a group policy setting to do with allowing users to install printers, it's somewhere in the security settings I think. That may be your problem. My network uses a script to map the printers insted, but it didn't work properly until this policy was changed so it could be the same issue for you maybe?

Mike.

Thank Post
    Hi good suggested, yet after setting the "Devices: Prevent users from installing printer drivers" to disabled I still get access is denied. It suggests permissions over the printer are incorrect - but when I look at effective permissions for a user within the Security Group which has access to the printer - it seems fine! Confussed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Are your drivers fully signed by MS? I am having this issue and i've narrowed it down to the Toshiba copier drivers which are not signed and Windows won't let you install unsigned drivers at all on Win 7. Try changing, for a test, teh driver to something random built into it, say a HP LaserJet 4100 which is built into 2008 R2 and deploy it then, if it works with the same permissions etc then it could be that problem

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Are your drivers fully signed by MS? I am having this issue and i've narrowed it down to the Toshiba copier drivers which are not signed and Windows won't let you install unsigned drivers at all on Win 7. Try changing, for a test, teh driver to something random built into it, say a HP LaserJet 4100 which is built into 2008 R2 and deploy it then, if it works with the same permissions etc then it could be that problem
    Isn't there also a GP setting to allow non signed drivers to be installed by users ??

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think also there is a setting you need to set to tell it what server your 'allowed' to install printers from.

Pete

Thank Post
    Users can search the domain and add the printers manually - I am attempting to add the printers during logon (using group policy preferences)! This seems to work for the computer but not for the user!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Isn't there also a GP setting to allow non signed drivers to be installed by users ??
    Windows 7 X64 will not allow any unsigned drivers without brutal murdering it into submission so if your on 64 bit clients then you could be suffering there, I seem to have found that to my cost, so now trying to find an alternative newer driver that is certified.

Thank Post
    I'm using HP universal print drivers, XP clients (x86)!

Thank Post
    Andy,

I have suffered simialar problems in the past. Additional to the things that you have already tried, try setting the print processor to winprint under printer properties -> advanced -> print processor.

Matt

Thank Post
    Hi Matt, this is something I've already addressed - yet printers still don't seem to work when deploying to a user :/

Thank Post
    is the following policies set?
    For Computers
    Comp Conf -> Admin Templates -> Printers -> Point and Print restrictions = Disabled
    and for Users
    User Config -> Admin Templates -> Control Pannel/Printers -> Point and Print restrictions = Disabled

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread