+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Advice in Technical; When we get back to work after the summer holidays, I going to suggest a plan to the boss about ...
    Thank Post

Advice

When we get back to work after the summer holidays, I going to suggest a plan to the boss about changing stuff.

First would be to upgrade the hard drives on the intel modular server (integrated San), think we have only got 1500gb if your lucky

Second would to get more ram for the intel modular servers from 8gb to at least 16gb? Or would you say more? And maybe better processors

Third would to be upgrade our standard Cal to enterprise so we can get forefront installed and working as sophos licence has just ran out. Is this correct you get this free on enterprise cals?

Forth would to be upgrade our standard 2008r2 licences to either enterprise or datacentre so we can have at least 4 running vms running on each server. I know we are licences for 5 2008r2 standard in the volume licensing centre, the easiest upgrade path for that?

5th then of course talk about moving every thing to vms. My idea with that would be have everything running virtual expect from the two citrix servers we have (unless that would be better virtual?) and the backup server

6th then would be to talk the possibility of maybe creating a new fresh domain??? Would this be worth it? Would need to tell him how easy this would to do it, for him to agree. Pretty sure our domain is extremely old, think it use to be nt4, 2000, then 2003, then 2003r2, now 2008r2.

Other questions

If this is worth it how easy would it be to move exchange across to the new domain? Plus at the same time, upgrade it to 2010

Can a new domain name be anything?

What would you suggest? At the moment it is the same has our website ockendon.thurrock.sch.uk, same for the email accounts too. We would need to be to keep the email accounts the same domain, can this be done? Has the domain wouldn't be the same name.

Plus for the new domain do, you actually need to own the website domain? Sorry if this sounds so stupid

Thanks in advance

One last question actually how hard would it be to migrate serco and sims onto one server? At the moment we have three admin servers (different domain)
    I think if we was to upgrade the newest server and install 2008r2 on it. Vm for sims and and vm for serco and the last vm for anything else like domain controller, dns, dhcp, file server etc... Also how hard would that be to create onto a new domain?

So I theory 3 servers to one on the admin network (dumping two)

Dump our non intel modular sever witch is our web server to a vm on the modular server. If we can dump the youth wire server, and make a vm for that, not so sure if youth wire will let us do that?

So in total we could get in therory get rid of 4 servers... So in the end we would have 5 curriculum vm servers and one admin vm server, backup server, mitel mobile server and two citrix servers and one Mac server

Umm still a fair few from 15 to 11

Thanks again
    Last edited by pritchardavid; 30th July 2010 at 12:50 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p-dave View Post
    6th then would be to talk the possibility of maybe creating a new fresh domain??? Would this be worth it? Would need to tell him how easy this would to do it, for him to agree. Pretty sure our domain is extremely old, think it use to be nt4, 2000, then 2003, then 2003r2, now 2008r2.
    Can be a lot of work, and there's nothing wrong with an old domain if it's been well managed. If, on the other hand, it's full of legacy accounts, GPOs scattered throughout and with cryptic names and a bird's nest of permissions scrapping it can be easier.

If this is worth it how easy would it be to move exchange across to the new domain? Plus at the same time, upgrade it to 2010
    If you're going to be creating a completely new domain it may even be simpler to just install a brand new Exchange server - you're going to need to recreate the user accounts anyway so why not start with a clean slate?

Can a new domain name be anything?
    Within reason. Usually it's best to avoid a .local domain, and also can be worthwhile avoiding any domain extensions which are registered (.com etc) for internal use.

What would you suggest? At the moment it is the same has our website ockendon.thurrock.sch.uk, same for the email accounts too. We would need to be to keep the email accounts the same domain, can this be done? Has the domain wouldn't be the same name.
    ockendon.school? ockendon.internal? Keeping the e-mail accounts as ockendon.thurrock.sch.uk and your actual domain name different isn't a problem. They don't have to have the same name.

Plus for the new domain do, you actually need to own the website domain? Sorry if this sounds so stupid
    Not at all. You won't be making your internal domain accessible directly from the internet (hopefully) so you can use anything. I know of one person who set up their internal company domain as microsoft.com.

One last question actually how hard would it be to migrate serco and sims onto one server? At the moment we have three admin servers (different domain)
    I don't know anything about Serco, but if you're virtualising I don't see why you'd need to move them all on to a single server. Probably best to avoid if you can.

I think if we was to upgrade the newest server and install 2008r2 on it. Vm for sims and and vm for serco and the last vm for anything else like domain controller, dns, dhcp, file server etc... Also how hard would that be to create onto a new domain?
    As said, it can be a lot of work. You need to work out the structure, GPOs, groups, create the users, and so on. Good fun to do though.

So I theory 3 servers to one on the admin network (dumping two)
    Again, if you're going to virtualise you don't really need to put everything on one server.

Umm still a fair few from 15 to 11
    Servers are like rabbits. You start with a few and before you know it they've multipled to fill several rooms.

Plus most of them should be put down, but people won't because they're so cute and fluffy.

(Analogy failed a little at the end there, but oh well.)
    Last edited by jamesb; 30th July 2010 at 01:43 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread