+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Adding a 2nd Exchange 2010 Server in Technical; Im running exchange 2010 standard and my plan for the near futrue is to add a second install of 2010 ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Adding a 2nd Exchange 2010 Server

Im running exchange 2010 standard and my plan for the near futrue is to add a second install of 2010 just for redundancy.

Is it pretty straight forward, anything I need to watch out for?

cheers

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Depends how you are going to make them redundant really. As far as I know you can only have the mail boxes on one server.

Far better to virtualize the thing imo and take image backups as well as db's for redundancy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ok well it seems now is the "near futrue"..

Exchange 2010 (non-SP1) is currently a Virtualbox VM sitting on a Linux Host.

Now I have a proper HyperV host, my plan is this:

Create a 2010 SP1 Exchange install, use the built in tool to move the exchange database store over to the new install, and use Systems Center Data Protection Manager to look after the backups of Exchange and the VMs (havent really looked into scdpm yet)

Does this sound an ok plan?

Should I leave the old Exchange VM running, for clustering or something?

Thank Post
    Could database availability group be what you're looking for from a HA PoV?

Uncovering Exchange 2010 Database Availability Groups (DAGs) (Part 1)

5. Thanks to Willott from:

RabbieBurns (16th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thanks, ill have a look

Thank Post
    I have 2 servers runing a DAG for redudancy and a front end server for OWA which are all VM's (hyper-v) was very easy to setup.

I used the ebook - Exchange 2010 A Practical Approach by Jaap Wesselius which got me started.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    how many physical hosts do you have them over? 3?

cheers for the book... ill see if i can find a copy

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    Im running exchange 2010 standard and my plan for the near futrue is to add a second install of 2010 just for redundancy.
    Do you really need redundancy for emails? Some people think that they are running a corporate HQ rather than a school. Mind you, I see you are in Sydney so maybe your country is not broke like ours so doesn't have the bank manager or LEA breathing down your neck wanting justification for every expense.

A decent backup strategy and something (external service) to buffer incoming emails during outage should IMHO suffice. The only thing we have redundancy for is AD DC and some file shares to allow the classes to keep running. The rest the school is happy to wait on until it is fixed and recovered, probably next day. We only have two physical servers in the school. Cannot justify more.

Thank Post
    All the virtual machines are in a hyper-v cluster so can be anything from one to three hosts, though I do keep them on a min of 2 separate hosts.

IMHO, any outage of a service is unacceptable be it for a sole trader working from his home computer to a large corp. Why should a school expect anything less regardless of the economic climate?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFuller View Post
    IMHO, any outage of a service is unacceptable be it for a sole trader working from his home computer to a large corp. Why should a school expect anything less regardless of the economic climate?
    Buts its not your opinion that counts. Its your responsibility to identify (the mail server failing) and report the risk, but SMT decision on how to respond to the risk. They may want to avoid it, but they may just accept it too - its their decision based upon their business case.

In our school we have accepted some of the risks, but for other we have fallback and for a few we have steps to avoid the risk altogether. We do not see email as being mission critical. Our fallback plan is to use an alternative email solution whilst the server is offline - just a matter of switching over the DNS at the domain provider to provide online email service which takes minutes to propogate. All our emails are backed up within the school and before they reach the school so none should ever be lost so there is no lasting impact. The solution we implemented covers a number of risks, such as broadband/firewall/router failures etc etc, so its cost is justified over many different risk scenarios.

A significant part of my remit is to propose cost effective solutions. I have halved the schools IT spend and they are no worse off for it. The children certainly don't care how the system works as long as it does, most of the SMT don't know any different, the bursar and trustees are very happy and most importantly, the bank manager and accountant are happy as they can see that we are keeping budgets well under control and we can justify every penny spent on IT.
    Last edited by ianh64; 17th February 2011 at 08:47 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Do you really need redundancy for emails? Some people think that they are running a corporate HQ rather than a school. Mind you, I see you are in Sydney so maybe your country is not broke like ours so doesn't have the bank manager or LEA breathing down your neck wanting justification for every expense.
    My school here is a private school, and a fairly large one at that. As such, and with students paying in excess of $20k a year each, it is run as a "corporate HQ" as that is exactly what it is. Email is as mission critical here as it would be anywhere in the corporate world..

Exactly!

Buts its not your opinion that counts.
    We are the IT department. We get given our budget to run everthing IT related. Once the money is approved, of course our opinion counts. We make the decisions, and if stuff goes titsup, its us on the line

We only have two physical servers in the school
    Well obviously if you are a small primary school with a couple of years and a couple of students, with hardly any money, they your hands are tied. Why not look at something like live@edu which would suite your scenario perfectly?

As an aside, the purpose of my thread is not related to my school in any way, it is a seperate organisation that I also do work for.

Im looking into DPM 2010 to do the backups of the exchange, but would like to have Exchange accessible immediately if VIrtualbox host went down.

Thank Post
    DPM is very good for Exchange backups, we use it for recovery on a per e-mails basis if needed, also DPM does live snapshots of the whole hyper-v VM for disaster recovery. Not sure on backup options for Virtual Box though I’m afraid, just make sure it has VSS support for exchange if you’re doing live backups. Don’t want to corrupt your databases.

Thank Post
    Hi

Depends if you plan to use DAG, if so on a virtual machine or physical. If you want HA for your mailboxes then you can either use Exchange 2010 DAG or implement HA at the virtual layer. Be careful not to have DAG on VM's if you are also using VM HA on the root servers. This is NOT supported by MFST and can lead to DB corruption.

From MSFT Exchange 2010 System Requirements: Exchange 2010 SP1 Help

"DAGs are supported in hardware virtualization environments provided that the virtualization environment doesn't employ clustered root servers, or the clustered root servers have been configured to never failover or automatically move mailbox servers that are members of a DAG to another root server"

There are catches too but the main one which I have come across is where Exchange is using DAG on VM's. this has vcaused issues.

Regards
    Sukh

15. Thanks to sukh from:

RabbieBurns (26th February 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    OK so DAG will not be an option at the moment, because the existing server Exchange is on is only 2008R2 Standard, not enterprise, and so doenst include the failover cluster stuff..

Ive installed a new instance of Exchange 2010 with all the roles onto 2008R2 Enterprise, what do I need to do to move evertything onto this new server so I can wipe the old 2008R2 Standard and re-install with Enterprise?

Thank Post
    Hi,

What have you got configured on your existing Exchange server?
    Do you have CAS setup? OWA/Outlook Anywhere/OMA/EAS/Archiving
    How many databases do you have?
    Do you have any aliases for OWA? Internal/External
    Did you change an default settings when you installed existing Exchange server?

Also, am wondering if it may just be better to uninstall Exchange and upgrade the OS rather reinstalling the OS. Will save you time, however you can't do this with Exchange installed.

Regards
    Sukh
    Last edited by sukh; 27th February 2011 at 04:39 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast