+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Adding a 2nd Exchange 2010 Server in Technical; Existing one does everything and is setup for external OWA, Outlook anywhere, mobile phone, etc.. it does everytinig exept for ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Existing one does everything and is setup for external OWA, Outlook anywhere, mobile phone, etc.. it does everytinig exept for Unified Messanging. It has 1 database.

I have used the Move mailbox command to move the mailboxes to the new server's database, and all seems to be working OK.

So I guess I just need to go thru all the settings and make sure they match the old one, and then update the firewall to point to the new IP, and then re-import the certificate.

Reinstalling the OS only takes a couple of minutes. Plus it will let me go straight to SP1 of 2008R2.

Thank Post
    Hi

Make sure you have set-up CAS roles correctly on your new server, to include certificates and also your external A/SRV records too.

Regards
    Sukh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    HAving a think a bit further, and again remembering this is just test setups with only 1 or 2 mailboxes..

Would the following work?

At the moment Exchange sits in scotland, the Client Access from the Internet goes to it. If I were to add a second exchange box here in australia, and VPN the two, and create a DAG via the VPN, could I then setup the client access from the internet to go to either exchange? Have mail.mydomain.com resolve to 2 IPs, both of which will process the mail, but will store it in the DAG which is available in both countries? Also means I can have a mx1. and a mx2 right?

What would be the best to method to have the 2 sites VPN'd together?dag.png

Thank Post
    Good to see convo's like this pop up, in the last 7 years I have seen email get used from 10 staff to every staff member and every student. If email goes down for 2 minutes everyone will realise they can not live without it so I am glad to see convo's like this pop up and give me some ideas.

We are currently looking to buying a new email server which will have 2008 R2 x64 with exchange 2010, I am still thinking on what to do with the current one who future redundancy. Our school is very IT reliant and if anything goes down for a few minutes then serious problems occur (like students/staff not able to work).

I will look at DPM and possibly virtualisation for exchange. We have just virtualised our EPO, print, program servers. So I already have Hyper V on the system and running fine with no real problems. It is the way forward with us, we are becoming an academy and just purchased Frog, every block has PC's galore, 50% of all the work produced is on a PC and 95% all Post16 work is done on PC. So we must have things working and always working - 99.99% it should be online for.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    sukh, if you get a chance, could you comment on the diagram / idea above please?

Thank Post
    Hi Rabbie

If you want to implement a 2nd CAS at Australia (which you must if a mailbox server exists) then you have to decide if you want another internet facing CAS server or not. If yes, this will then need to be published on the Internet DNS. In this case, users can directly access the appropiate URL and access the same server in the same site as the user. If the AUS user uses the URL for Scotland then Exchange will redirect them to the Aus CAS server providing their mailbox is on a AUS Exch Server. This type of deployment is called Exchange redirection.

If you want a single point of entry into the ORG then you can expose one server, say the one already in Scotland, which will then perform proxying. This is known as Exchange Proxying.

On a seperate note for the mx records. This is different to CAS deployment. If you want mail to be delivered to the appropiate site, for example, if a external users sends an email to a user at Scotland then the route the mail should take should be to Scotland and not AUS, then you will need intelligent email routing or we you will have to have a seperate SMTP domain for each of the users. Depending on who hosts your MX records or importantly, where the MX records are pointed will determine if this is possible.

For example, MSFT offer this as a service, and what basically happends is that your AD is sync'ed (particular attributes) which identify the users locations and then email is sent to the appropiate HUB/EDGE server.

Sukh

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the prompt reply Sukh

I was thinking of having both scotland and australia as single CAS, defined by DNS (is it called round robin? Im not entirely sure, my idea is that mail.mydomain.com would resolve to the scottish IP, and the aus IP, so clinets would just connect to either) ..

the fact that my 2 sites are located goegraphically apart is different from what I would be trying to achieve in better circumstances, its just to do with what I have avaiolable to me.. Ideally, I would have 2 seperate WAN Ips, which would also be MX, and would go to 2 seperate local exhcnange

What Im thinking of, is the 2 seperate locations (sco and au) would be basically DAG I thnk (via a server to server VPN), so the mailboxes for each user would be redplciaed on either side, and each side would offer all of the Client Access. So if the entire SCO network was down, the AU would provide Client acces, and all of the mailbox..

This probably woulndnt be practical in a real world environment with real offices and users I guess?

Again, this is just me, learning and playing. But I reall appreciate your help and support
    Last edited by RabbieBurns; 25th March 2011 at 12:26 PM. Reason: see edit

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    HAving a think a bit further, and again remembering this is just test setups with only 1 or 2 mailboxes..

Would the following work?

At the moment Exchange sits in scotland, the Client Access from the Internet goes to it. If I were to add a second exchange box here in australia, and VPN the two, and create a DAG via the VPN, could I then setup the client access from the internet to go to either exchange? Have mail.mydomain.com resolve to 2 IPs, both of which will process the mail, but will store it in the DAG which is available in both countries? Also means I can have a mx1. and a mx2 right?

What would be the best to method to have the 2 sites VPN'd together?dag.png
    Yes that method should work, not 100% sure on the DAGs as I have never implemented them but the rest is sound. You can have two MX records either prioritised with one preffered or both equal at which point it will round robin between them. In the same vain you can have two IPs for mail.yourdomain.com and it will just roundrobin pick which is supplied to the user.

http://ntrg.cs.tcd.ie/undergrad/4ba2.01/group8/DNS.html

If one site goes down though you have a 50/50 chance of getting a host not avalible on a webmail lookup as there is no additional fault tollerance with this method, it just picks one and goes with it.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 25th March 2011 at 12:43 PM.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

RabbieBurns (25th March 2011)

Thank Post
    @Synack - If you do point your mail.yourdomain.com to the external URL, when a SCO user hits a Internet CAS at AUS they will be proxied/redirected to SCO CAS server depending on how Exchange is configured as their mailbox will be on at SCO mailbox server. Malibox servers used CAS servers in thier own site.

@Rabbie - Yes. If SCO has a server/site failure, then your DAG copies at AUS will privide mailbox/cas for your SCO users.

What would be ideal is to either have intelligent email routing, if not, then you can use MX records (round robin), which point to your HNLB, which then point to your CAS array. This will then provide HA/FT at every level.

Sukh

11. Thanks to sukh from:

RabbieBurns (26th March 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right I'm just about to set up the Aus end of my tesbed network. What is the best way to get the site to site VPN established? Preferably a software option as I dont really want to spend money on somehting which is just for practice.

Thank Post
    If yoiure using Windows then you could use that.

Virtual Private Networking with Windows Server 2003: Deploying Site-to-Site VPNs
    YouTube - &#x202aTECHNET-vpn-site-to-site on windows 2003 R2.avi&#x202c‏

14. Thanks to sukh from:

RabbieBurns (28th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sukh View Post
    If yoiure using Windows then you could use that.

Virtual Private Networking with Windows Server 2003: Deploying Site-to-Site VPNs
    YouTube - &#x202aTECHNET-vpn-site-to-site on windows 2003 R2.avi&#x202c
    Thanks @sukh, Ive looked for an updated step by step guide for 2008R2 which i have at both ends but I dont seem to find one, is there one you could point me in the right direction of please?

Thank Post
    those are still applicable to 2008R2, it just doesnt include the new features but the setp is the same.

17. Thanks to sukh from:

RabbieBurns (23rd July 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    thanks.. im still trying to get this right in my head before i set it up.

How can I set up the .au location, so it is part of the .uk domain? Do i create a new .au domain and give it the same name as the domain in the .uk ? I just cant seem to get it right in my head how to add the new location.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    thanks.. im still trying to get this right in my head before i set it up.

How can I set up the .au location, so it is part of the .uk domain? Do i create a new .au domain and give it the same name as the domain in the .uk ? I just cant seem to get it right in my head how to add the new location.
    They are all effectivly part of the same system so should all be part of the same AD structure (domain or forrest).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast