+ Post New Thread
Windows Server 2008 R2 Thread, Group Policy & Admx in Technical; I am running on a 2008 domain infastructure, I am in the process of upgrading 90% of our client pc's ...
    Thank Post

Group Policy & Admx

I am running on a 2008 domain infastructure, I am in the process of upgrading 90% of our client pc's to Windows 7 & office 2010.

So naturally I start looking at ADMX files for office and this leads me down the slippery route of Central policy stores.

So I copy office admx files to the newly created C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\Policies\PolicyDefinition s\ on my 2008R2 DC.

Open GPMC and lo and behold I have Office policies to play with but.... NO OTHER Policies remain??

So I copy all the folders that were in C:\Windows\SYSVOL\domain\Policies\ into my new store and lo and behold - gpmc wont run (permissions error)

If I move the folders back and remove/delete the "PolicyDefinitions" folder all my std policy options come back but no Office 2010 options.

Am I missing somthing very obvious?

Thanks

Si

Thank Post
    Just a bit more info.

This domain ahve been upgraded from 2003, I have since decommisioned the old 2003 server and now run with 1 x 2008 Dc and 1 x 2008R2 dc.

I have created the PolicyDefinitions folder and placed offcie 2010 admx files directly in there and they are detected, if I then add (downloaded) 2008 admx files I get errors readimg the admx files.

So I place them all in en-us folder withing the central store.

GPMC says its looking in the central store but alals there are no admin templates listed when I try to create a new GPO.

I'm tired and grumpy and was not planning on wasting 80 of my time today bugg£$*(g about with this today.

Any ideas?
    If I delete the Policydefinitions folder all is well as GPMC looks locally for for the adm(x) files.

If I try the old fasioned way of right clicking and adding an admin template, it doesnt let me nor does it show ANY adm files loded?

Thank Post
    I did that yesterday but only with the ADMX files that were already in one of the stores. I have to admit though I haven't checked in GPMC to see if they are all available. Thanks for the info I'll need to look at that. Incidentally the en-us folder is for the language files with an adml extension, I think.

Thank Post
    Ahh worked it out.

Need the ADML files inside the language "en-us" folder within the "PolicyDefinitions" folder and the admx files just within the "PolicyDefinitions" folder.

Not sure what i was trying to do earlier but it obviously wasn't that!!
    Last edited by pooley; 12th July 2010 at 07:56 PM.

Thank Post
    Glad that's sorted

Thank Post
    For anyone else wanting to create their Central Store for ADMX files, the easiest way is to simple copy the PolicyDefinitions folder from the windows folder on the DC to SYSVOL\FQDN\Policies

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread